42: Spark in his eyes

The final places for the competitions were announced. The group number took the third-place spot, Sunghoon and Jay took first, Youngeun and Dayeon placed fifth. Meanwhile, Jungwon took third, Sunoo second, and Ni-Ki placed fifth in their respective division. Everyone was happy and satisfied with the results having all of them pass to states.

Well, all except one- 

"I could have done better," Riki mumbles, his head leaning on the train window, hugging his carry-on tightly. "Stupid, stupid mistakes," he continues, closing his eyes tightly and repeatedly bumping his head onto it. The motion was soon stopped, a hand being placed on the spot. He sighs before turning around, his eyes filled with sadness and regrets.

"You did amazing," Sunoo says with a small smile, the hand that was on his head, ruffling his hair slightly. "Stop being so hard on yourself. Youngeun-ssi and Dayeon-ssi also placed fifth in their division and they are extremely happy. You should be too. Just tell yourself how hard you danced on stage. Give yourself some credit," he tells him in a soothing voice.

Riki sighs, snuggling closer onto the boy's hand. The other boy pushes him onto his shoulder instead where the younger quickly makes himself comfortable. "I shouldn't have made that mistake."

On one of the steps of the dance, there was a pattern. He had to move his head, chest, legs but instead, he made a noticeable mistake where he moved his head, legs, then chest. It must have been out of nervousness since he had never made that error while practicing. Nevertheless, that didn't make up for the great regret and disappointment he was feeling.

"I'm just disappointed in myself," he sighs, closing his eyes, "Sorry Hyung." He buries his head on his shoulder, quickly finding comfort there before letting drowsiness take over. "Thanks, Sunoo-Hyung," he slurs before unconsciousness takes over.

----

The next time that he opens his eyes, they're at the bus station and people are walking past them through the narrow aisle. His head position stays the same but he tilts his head slightly up and sees that Sunoo has his eyes closed. He guessed that the older is a deep sleeper since the bus was buzzing with chatter. The sound of the engine being turned off was what had woken him up. 

He picks his head up and stretches a little before looking around and spotting his friends who are still sitting a few rows behind him. He waves at them in acknowledgment and they smile in return, Jay mouthing for him to wait until everyone is off which he nods in return. 

He turns to the boy next to him, hesitantly reaching a finger out before poking one of his cheeks. What? can you blame him? He had always been curious as to what they felt like.

He giggles a little, childishly. He pokes again and one more time and once more before the owner opens his eyes. He frowns a little in confusion as Riki stays frozen in place. He turns his head and a smile breaks onto his face when he saw the other's cute, shocked expression. "You're cute," he says in a slightly raspy voice which makes the Japanese boy blush, letting out an awkward laugh.

"I- I swear, I wasn't poking your cheeks!" He exclaims nervously. The older just keeps staring at him. He groans, "Fine, maybe I did poke them. But only once! Okay, maybe twice or thrice but no more. I swear!" 

Sunoo bursts out into laughter, his mind reminding him that this was one of the reasons he came to like the other. So innocent and funny and cute. "It's okay, Riki. Really," he tells him with a loving gaze and gentle smile making the said boy instantly relax and laugh at his own panic.

He wasn't really used to this side of Sunoo if he was honest. For most of the time since they've known each other he has been known as nothing other than cold and arrogant, someone that does what he wants when he wants. Someone who doesn't smile, who keeps a scowl on his face as if it were permanent. It's refreshing to see him like this, in simple words. Hearing him laughing with him and seeing a smile on his face. Looking right into that familiar spark that's in his eyes. 

Wow. He really likes Kim Sunoo.

Not even a minute later, their attention was caught by their friends who told them that it's time to go. They stand up from their seats, Sunoo reaching out to get his carry-on bag before stepping forward, Ni-Ki following close behind along with their friends. 

----

In the car to get back to the mansion, with Mr. Im driving, Ni-Ki's distraught expression came back and Sunoo decides not to pry. Instead, he distracts himself with his phone but that didn't keep him from taking quick glances at the other and wondering what was going through his head as he looks out the window. His eyes gave some emotions away; sadness, regret, disappointment. That special gleam in his eyes is still there yet it is masked with all those negative emotions.

As soon as they arrive at the mansion, Sunoo takes one of the other's hand and drags him somewhere. They were going a direction that the younger had never visited. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion but made no attempt to yank his hand away and rather cooperated by moving along. 

They pass through the back of the house, walking to the right side. He had expected that side to just be grass and maybe some equipment there like a hose or something similar. He definitely did not expect to widen his eyes in shock at how beautiful it looked there, the most beautiful part of the garden if he dare say.

First of all, this side of the house was not as narrow as the other side and was rather wide. There was a pond in the middle with a two person table next to it with an umbrella. Around the pond were the most beautiful flowers and the grass looked fake by how green in was--just like the grass in the rest of the garden.

"There's a pond beside your house?! There's a pond in your house?!" He explains as he gawks at the place with a bright spark in his eyes. The spark Sunoo loves so much.

The older smiles and shrugs slightly, "It was built when I was really young due to my mom's request. I don't visit much and no one else is allowed here without my permission. I just think this is a great place to sort out thoughts and I thought it might help brighten your mood."

Riki smiles widely, "It definitely does. I love places like this," he tells him enthusiastically. He calms down after a few seconds of looking around before he settles in front of the other, taking one of his hands. "Thanks for this, Hyung. I admit that I was upset, disappointed rather," he smiles lightly, "This really brings my mood up." He leans in and places a chaste kiss on the other's cheek, their hands still together.

Sunoo grins, cups his cheek with one hand and leans in to place a soft kiss on his lips.