50: Everything will be okay

PART 4

Just like that, Riki was back walking through an airport's security. 

He puts all his things inside a plastic bin before going through the metal detector. He tried to think of happy things like being back with his best friend and the crew and being in the house he lived in through his earlier years. But the happy memories and people that he had met in Korea, he would miss. Sure, he missed his friends in Japan but the people he had met there... It felt as if it were meant to be. As if South Korea was where he is meant to be.

When he got through and his mother was walking right behind him, he hesitates but ends up looking back. His friends stood there with sad smiles and Sunoo... he wasn't looking at him. He understood but he wished that they could at least make eye contact before he left.

So, like a crazy person, he runs through the detector and straight to the boy, cupping his face in his hands. "Look at me," he whispers as the other's hands reflexively go to his waist. They make eye contact, they look at each other with fondness and teary eyes before he pulls his face to his, their lips instantly colliding roughly. When they separate, they lay their foreheads against each other. "I'll miss you," he says sullenly, his eyes closed.

"I'll miss you too, love," Sunoo whispers back, his arms going around him and securing him tightly against him, afraid to let him go. "We'll call every single day and I'll update you on every single thing I do and when we see each other again, it'll be as if you never left... as if we were beside each other the entire time," he tells him soothingly in his ear in a low voice, making sure that only he heard. By now, Ni-Ki was now crying on his shoulder and by the second, he tightens his arms around Sunoo, nuzzling closer and closer to where he found warmth. 

"You have to go," the older says after moments of quiet. "Time will go fast and you'll be back in my arms. I promise."

With those confident words, Riki took the courage to separate. "I love you," he told him one more time and Sunoo smiles at his sincere words. 

"I love you too."

Riki gave one last smile to his friends who all had a worried expression before walking back to the security. He puts on a thoughtful face, stopping for a second before going to Jungwon. He hugs him, surprising everyone. He whispers something to him which makes the Korean smile and nod. They pull apart and Ni-Ki looks him into the eyes, communicating to which Jungwon nods firmly with a confident, reassuring glint. 

Again, the boy steps toward the officer by the metal detector who he gives a sorry expression to. The older just gives him a glare before beckoning him to step through the detector again.

Ni-Ki does. This time, he doesn't look back. 

He meets his mom in front of the gate and gives her a sad, regretful smile which she returns. He takes a sigh and takes his handbag from his mother before walking off. 

Unlike the last time they were on a plane, his mom didn't say reassuring words to him. But just like last time, he leans his head on the window and lets tears slip past his eyes. 

Ironic, isn't it?

---

As soon as he walked out of the plane he wanted to plop himself onto a bed, any bed. He didn't want to see his best friend--not yet. He didn't want to dance. He didn't want to talk. he didn't want to see anyone.

"Honey, will you go see Taki?" His mother asks as she gets their bags. 

"What?" He asks, looking distant. He closes his eyes, focusing. "Um, no. Tomorrow."

To think that a couple of months ago he had dreaded leaving Japan and now he dreads being back. 

"Let's go, Mr. Tanaka is here to pick us up," she smiles. Hesitantly, he smiles back and nods at her.

Now, he dreads leaving the one who he claims to be the love of his life. Even if he knows that must just be how all teens in love feel, like the person they are with is 'the one', 'their soulmate' but this--Kim Sunoo--it really feels like it is his soulmate.

After giving Mr. Tanaka a half-hearted smile and a hug they step into the car. While the elders have a spirited conversation in front, he tones everything out and simply looks down at his lap where he was toying with his phone. He wanted to pick it up and tell Sunoo that they had landed but he didn't have the strength to do that. Instead, he looks out the window and watches as they pass all those familiar buildings. 

I'm home, he told himself. 

Is this really home? He wondered.

---

"We should go, Sunoo-Hyung," Jungwon told him hesitantly after watching the plane leave.

The said boy stayed quiet and continued to look out the huge airport window. All the boys looked at each other, wondering what to do. Sunoo sighs, "You guys can leave, I'll be fine," he tells them without diverting his eyes. 

"We're staying," Jay was the first to speak out, surprising all of them. "What?" He asks, shrugging with pretend annoyance at the attention that was cast on him, his ears becoming red. "Riki will kill us if something happens to him," he mumbles, looking another way, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Let's go Hyung," Jungwon says once again, grabbing onto his upper arm. "Ni-Ki will text you when he lands."

Sunoo turns his head and looks at Jungwon. His eyes become teary. "I have a bad feeling."

"That's just you being dramatic and paranoid," the younger retorts with a teasing grin which he soon drops. "You guys will be okay. You guys are so in love that I can't believe you're still high school students and that you've only known each other for five months." He sighs. "You'll be okay. Everything will be okay."