53: Bitter taste

1 month later...

The whole neighborhood was filled with hundreds and if not thousands of little lightbulbs which are better known as Christmas lights. The explosion of colors, Santa decorations, candy canes, and reindeer was all around and everyone was increasing their holiday spirits. Even the dullest of houses had been decorated--even if it were pretentious. That's right; the Kim mansion.

---

Sunoo gets out of the shower, pulling on some boxers and black sweatpants and a white oversized t-shirt before walking to the mirror. With his palm, he wipes it, revealing his expression. He looks at himself in the mirror for a couple of seconds before sighing and shaking his head, letting water bounce out of his hair. He then walks out of the bathroom and to his room where he walks straight to his desk where his computer was open and there were dozens of papers scattered around. He takes a seat and without any other thoughts, gets back to typing away.

"So it's only a couple of days till Christmas and you guys have barely spoken for the last week," Jungwon who was sprawled onto the other's bed says thoughtfully.

For one brief moment, hurt went through the older's eyes as he stopped all motion before he went back to his unbothered self. "He's busy and I'm busy," he mutters, loud enough for the other to hear. "And it's only been three days. I send him good morning and he responds dryly," he shrugs, trying to seem unfazed which, by the way, wasn't working at all.

Jungwon sits up, confusion on his face as he asks, "What are you so busy with anyway? We're in the winter break and unless your teachers are assholes, then you have no homework. You have been typing since I got here."

Sunoo doesn't stop what he was doing as he says, "I'll be taking over the company soon and I want to be informed of everything. I've been going over stocks, reviews, clients, etc. My dad ruined the sincerity of my mother's company and I have no other intention than to bring it back and make this company better." He responds with absolute seriousness.

At that, Jungwon smiles proudly, "You have my respect."

---

It's funny how one day you can be getting pictures taken of you, another you can be sitting in front of a computer and typing all day, another in a dance or vocal studio, and you can spend another day sprawled on a bed, desperately hoping for your lover to text you back.

But that could never be Kim Sunoo, pfft, as if.

Wrong.

"Pathetic," he mumbled, opening his eyes up and standing up from his position, walking out of the room before he he could convince himself to wait some more.

As he descended the stairs, he looked at the people working like robots, moving tables in position, setting up the stage, putting up the huge Christmas tree along with other decorations such as balloons, etc. Right, it's Christmas eve, he reminds himself, pausing momentarily. The annual Kim Christmas Eve party. Had it really been six days since he had a proper conversation with Riki? He wondered, becoming even more upset than he had been earlier.

They were falling apart.

The realization hit him harder than he thought and hurt more than he thought he could hurt. As if a thousand knives hit his heart.

He didn't show it, though, he only sighed, shook his head, and continued his journey to the kitchen. When he arrived, he didn't bother to greet the new chef who, by the way, was nothing like Mrs. Nishimura. In all ways. His cooking, personality, style, just everything.

"Pancakes," he says simply as he sits on the kitchen island, his hands going to his pocket and pulling his phone out.

He unlocked it and his fingers quickly traveled through the screen, tapping on the Instagram app. Coincidentally, the first story that showed up was Ni-Ki's. The screen was black with the words 'Be there' in white with elegant font. The thing was that the letters were in English rather than Japanese or Korean. He frowned. He then shook his head as the plate of pancakes was set in front of him. He stabbed the breakfast. Oh what a bitter taste.

"This is bitter," the boy states, pushing the plate away from him.

The man turned abruptly and looked at him with stink eyes. "It's that foul mood of yours. I don't care for your mood but don't you dare disrespect my cooking ever again," the older male told him sternly, turning around to continue what he was doing which was the banquet for the party later.

Sunoo fought off the huge urge to fight the other male and instead stood up from his seat and walked towards the kitchen door. "Expect to be fired soon," he simply muttered nonchalantly before walking out.

"Mr. Kim has requested your presence at his study," Mr. Kwon says nervously after approaching him just as he was about to start walking up the stairs.

Sunoo sighs. "What's this about?" He asks as a familiar feeling goes through him though he did his best to push it away.

"It's nothing bad young master Kim," the man responded, a soft smile spreading through his lips and the younger let himself believe it, nodding at him.

The young man trailed behind the older the way the young secretary led though he knew oh-too-well the path which he dreaded. Every time he got called into that office he knew no good would come out of it. It gave him a heaviness in his heart that just made him want to turn around and curl into the arms of his mother--which was impossible.

Mr. Kwon signaled him to go inside and with a deep breath, he turned the knob. His dad sat at his desk, with no papers on his hands, and the desk was completely clean which made Sunoo curious. His father was usually always so busy and always had paperwork at hand. Instead of the usual, the powerful man was looking up at the ceiling, leaning all the way back on his chair.

"What's this about?" The younger asked, burying all emotions.

"Today is the Christmas Eve party. I expect you to be attending to all guests and for you to be on your best behavior. All my business partners from all over the world will be here," he finally turned his head to look at his son, "Behave," he finished off with a threatening gaze.

Sunoo stayed composed, unwavering but inside he was slightly trembling.

"Yes, father."