7 - Lee Smith

It was dark when I woke up. There was a faint light in the balcony. My stomach is telling me I'm hungry.

When I stood up to close the balcony door, I was surprised to see Oliver sitting there.

He looks gentler when he's asleep. I reached out to touch his face. His eyes have always fascinated me. They're fierce and soft whenever I look at him, depending on his mood. He smells nice as well. I like it.

My stomach rumbled and he opened his eyes. Great. He was disoriented for a whole five seconds before looking at me properly.

"You hungry? I didn't wake you up earlier. You were sleeping so soundly." He stood up and smiled sweetly.

I frowned at him. "Why were you sleeping out here?" I followed him out of the room. He coughed.

"Well, you don't mind, do you? I just thought you might look for me when you wake up, so I made myself available."

I shrugged. He reheated some food from dinner and set it in front of me.

"What do you do in a house this big? Do you invite friends over?" I asked, curious at what his life is like.

"Nope. I like the solitude. At work, it's so noisy and chaotic. Here, I enjoy the peace and quiet." He was staring as he answered. Somehow, it feels uncomfortable. But I also like the attention he's giving me.

"But why such a big house, though? I'm sure a small house can give you that solitude you wanted."

"I like the view upstairs. And I have a big family who comes over often."

"Why don't they live here?"

"My parents have their own home. Christan has his own house for his family. Cara likes an apartment near her job. We do our own thing."

"Do you plan to build your own family here?" I took the last bite on my dinner. I held the glass of juice in my hand.

"You make it sound like a building." He laughed a little.

"You know what I mean."

"I know, but I have no plans on that area yet."

"Don't have a girlfriend?" Why would a guy like him have no girlfriend?

"No. Haven't been with one in a while." His lips curved upwards, not a smile, not a smirk. Self-deprecating, I like it.

"How long's a while? Too busy at work?" I'm not sure where all these questions are coming from. I mean, the only person I have lengthy conversations with is Aya, and the questions I make are usually follow-ups on hers.

"You can say that, but it's also because I haven't seen a woman I'm truly attracted with. Well, until now."

I have to wonder right now why I haven't talked to people much. You can learn a lot about them through conversations. His statement has two parts, I chose to focus on the first one.

"So, it's attraction at first for you, huh? Can't blame you. I'm probably the same. Then you get to know them and see if you want to keep them or drop them, right?" I took a sip from my drink.

"Probably? You're not sure?" He went over to his private bar next to the kitchen, grabbed a bottle and two glasses before sitting in front of me again.

I shrugged before answering. "Well, can't say for sure. I'm drawing blank from my head. And I'm all about surviving from the day I woke up in the hospital. No time for anything else."

"Haven't seen a guy that looks attractive enough that he makes your heart flutter?" He grinned, making him devastatingly handsome.

I smiled at him, drank the rest of my juice and took the glass of red wine he offered.

"Maybe. Haven't had the chance to... enjoy the view of an attractive man." I laughed, then shook my head. This conversation is turning silly.

"What's your type of guy?" He asked.

I took a while to contemplate before answering.

"I'm not sure. Haven't been out much. The only guys I see are those who frequent Tracy's. But alright, I'd like to think myself as an honest kind of girl, so I'll admit that you're practically the most attractive man I've met so far." I can only stare at him, enjoying the view of this gorgeous man in front of me.

"Enjoying the view?" He took the bait, now smirking.

"What's your type of girl?" I returned the question. I'm about to take a sip of the wine, but when I smelled the hint of alcohol, I put the glass down quickly, nearly breaking it.

"What's wrong?" He took the glass from me. But I started smiling like a maniac.

"I'm allergic to alcohol. Well, drinks anyway." I was so happy I actually stood up and made little jumps around the kitchen.

"Are you okay? Why are you so happy?" He stood up and went around the table to get closer to me.

"That's my first memory! I would have skin rashes all over my body if I drank that wine. The itch would be unbearable." I continued to laugh.

"Wow, I'm happy for you." He went to embrace me. I went stiff when he closed his arms around my shoulders. He noticed and let me go the soonest. He was still smiling, though.

"Yeah, me too." When I sat back down, he sat next to me.

"It takes time, right? You'll get them all back." I like how he's sympathizing with me.

"Thank you. Do you have non-alcoholic champagne to celebrate?" I teased.

"Of course. Just a sec." He went to fetch me a bottle. I remember I can finish one on my own. I frowned. How frequent do I drink champagne to have a vivid memory about that information?

"Why the frown? Another memory?" He set the bottle and a new glass on the table. He's back on his original seat across from me. Sitting beside him made me jumpy.

"For me to remember that I used to drink full bottles of champagne on my own, how frequent would have I done it?"

"Maybe often. Go ahead and taste it, maybe you'll get another memory." He was encouraging. I smiled that maniacal grin again. I like how I'm starting to get these memories right. I got greedy, and the disappointment that followed was... well, disappointing.

"It tastes nice, like soda. But richer..." I grimaced. "I'm not good at describing tastes, I like food a lot. I don't discriminate when I'm hungry."

"That's good." He nodded as he drinks his wine. "I like women who actually enjoy food." I only know one type of men to say that line.

"Do you cook?" He seemed surprised by my question.

"Yes, I do. Would you like to try my breakfast?"

"Sounds tasty. I'll have it." I actually dared to wink at him. Then I laughed.

"I can't believe I did that." Then I tried again. Yep, this non-alcoholic drink is getting me loose. Oliver only watched me as I continued to laugh. His eyes are smiling wickedly.

"I believe you're drunk." He stated, then he winked at me. The grin that followed is so sexy. Wait, what am I seeing?

"I think you're right." But I grabbed the bottle with half its content. I hugged it like a baby.

"We should go back to bed and sleep. I'm taking this with me. I like it." I declared.

When I passed by Oliver's seat. He reached out to hold my elbow to steady me, even if I'm still steady.

"Let me carry that for you." He frowned as he tried to take the bottle from me.

"You're not taking my baby. He's mine. And we're gonna spend the night together." That last sentence was in a sing-song. Damn, I'm not sure what the heck I'm saying. Those lines sounded flirty to my ears, and I'm giggling like mad. Nope, I'm not gonna drink this non-alcoholic thing again. Just tonight, I guess.