29 - Lee Smith

My heart skipped a beat when he stated that I should be selfish about him. My heart still aches just remembering the situation he presented. If that really happened... should I be selfish? It won't break my heart, but could it break me some other way? I decided to tell him my thoughts.

"I mean, obviously I have no status. If someone actually do that, it wouldn't end with a verbal request, would it? I don't want to pattern this to novel stories you read in books, but how likely is it that they would actually try other tactics to make me leave you? Get me unemployed. Get me kicked out of my apartment. Get me into a car accident. Get me kidnapped and held hostage. I won't be able to fight it out."

"If any of that happens, you tell me. I will protect you. Besides, that doesn't happen much in real life. Serious people don't have that much time on their hands. Unless, it's the spoiled heirs and heiresses. Still, if that actually happens, remember to tell me. I'll do what I can to help you."

"Really? I haven't enjoyed those kinds of stories. It made me feel like people are so wicked."

"The probability of that happening in real life is pretty low."

I find myself laughing lightly.

"I'll take your word for it."

We were silent for some time.

"What would you like to do at home this first two weeks?" He asked, probably grasping for something to talk about.

"When will I be discharged?"

"Monday."

"If I get discharged quickly, wouldn't that mean it wasn't serious?"

"You got surgery, on two organs. How is that not serious?"

"Right. But why do I have to recuperate for up to a month? I can work."

"If you do strenuous activities, your wound may open, get infected or worsen. You have to be very careful. It's easy to forget about it when you're busy working."

"That, I agree."

We were silent after that. What could I ask?

"So, how much do you like me?" I decided to return his question.

When I turned to him, it didn't seem like he's struggling to answer it the way I did. On the contrary, it seems he already knows the answer to it.

"I like you so much that I want to marry you. Make you my wife and the mother of my kids."

I think he's coming on strong these days. My heart skipped several beats this time. He leaned down and cupped the right side of my face. I can only stare at his eyes as he gets closer. I closed mine when his lips touched mine and I had to grab his shirt when he deepened the kiss. I felt a stirring in my stomach. He leaned me lower to the bed and that's when I felt the pain on my side. I gasped and pushed him away. I lied down as I feel the pain. He immediately understood what happened.

"I'm sorry." His apology made me laugh, it hit my mental laughing switch. The laughing made me ache on my side, though.

"Stop laughing. Or you can tell me what you're laughing about so I can laugh with you." His annoyed look is countered by his smile.

I breathed out as I start to gain control.

"I actually don't know." I told him honestly.

"Lie down properly. You were almost sleeping earlier. You need your rest." He stood up and helped me align my position to the bed. I grabbed a pillow to hug.

A few minutes later, he lied down beside me and took away my pillow. I looked up at his face as he wraps an arm around my waist. I wiggled closer to burrow my face in his chest, clutching his shirt. He likes me to the point that he wants to marry me? It made me think of the question I don't dare to contemplate on. Would I want to marry him?

I couldn't properly sleep that night. I was restless. I tried hard not to bother his sleep. In the end, I stayed awake while remaining in his embrace. His arm hasn't loosened at all. I wonder if he's also awake.

"Oliver...?" I called him softly. He didn't respond, though. I sighed.

Would I want to spend the rest of my life with this guy? I think the more important question is would I be willing to come into his world? Learn about business, possibly work at his company and meet people from his circle and environment. Should I try? I stared at his face, sleeping peacefully. I smiled. It would be nice to be with him, sleep with him like this, spend time with him, have meaningful conversations with him, eat out with him, eat what he cooks... I inhaled deeply. He could be everything I wanted in a man. Wait... since when did I want a man? Ugh. I guess, deep down, life is really hard for me. Though I have my own independent streak, I may have wanted someone to rely on. And to face the truth, he made me experience more things than I could've made on my own. I slipped my arms around his waist and hugged him, finally deciding to want him as much as he wants me. My heart flutters whenever he kisses me and hugs me like this. My thought before I slept was how I must already love this man. But why do I already feel pain in my heart?