65 - Lee Smith

I'll be damned. Tanya Taylor is married. Tanya Taylor has kids. Most heart-breaking of all, Tanya died. I'm afraid to ask how it happened. I'm afraid she came for me again. I tried to recall what I've heard about her death. She was with another man? Tanya's loyal to a fault, that much I know.

We visited Christan's again. If she did come for me, if she died because of me, how can I face them? I can only stare at the kids. Tanya won't be there to see them grow up. I don't know much about Tanya's personal life, only that she's elite at the bureau. Everyone respects her. Almost everyone owes her for something.

"What are you thinking?" Oliver asked in a soft voice. His whole family is here as well. Turns out it's Carl's birthday this time.

"I would protect these kids with my life." I stated without much thought.

"You already did." I remembered that time I went with Cara to fetch the kids from preschool.

Right. I need to know how she died. I texted Charles to buy me a lot of burner phones. For now, I don't know how to tell Oliver about my past. I can only stare at him as I ask myself why I married this guy. Should we get a divorce?

Damn. His sharp look told me I said that last thought out loud. Everyone turned to look. I held up my hands in a gesture of surrender.

"I did vow that I would never marry." I tried to explain.

"You're not allowed to divorce me. Take responsibility." Oliver is firm.

"What brought that up?" His mom suddenly asked, concerned.

I'm still undecided how much I should tell them. I have to review our policy manual at the bureau. I can't remember all of them.

Charles showed up before I can contemplate on an answer.

"What's that?" Oliver asked.

"Ms. Lee asked me to buy ten phones."

"Why did you have to bring that here?" I asked. I didn't mean for Oliver to know.

"You said it's urgent."
"You could've called me to the back or something." I replied, already busted. I noted the box on the top.

"Are those smart phones? I said burner phones."

"What?" Charles asked.

"Are they prepaid at least or postpaid?" I asked. This guy...

"Prepaid." He replied, handing over the shopping bag to me.

"Did you use a card or cash?" Why did I ever ask someone to do things for me?

"Card." I can only stare at him.

He exchanged a look with Oliver. Technically, he's his boss.

"What are the phones for?" Oliver asked.

"Need to contact a number of people." Precise and brief. That's what's familiar to me.

"Who do you need to contact?" Oliver continued.

"That... I cannot say."

"Lee... you promised. You're going to tell me everything." I can only stare at him again. I can't even look around and see the others.

"In my defense, that was when I still have amnesia." Yep. The sharp tongue is very familiar to me.

"Lee..." That's the calm before the storm.

"I hoped nothing would change between us just because you recovered your memories." That was the hard truth.

"Wait, she already did? What do you remember?" Cara just had to ask. Although Oliver already guessed that I have recovered my memories, we haven't really talked about it. He respects me enough to wait, to share whatever I was comfortable sharing.

"If you still love me..." Oliver started. I held a hand up.

"Alright, you win. Don't ever bring that up." I told him as I take one phone out of the box. Charles already had the SIMs installed.

"Why not?" Oliver asked. I stopped.

I only used to tell this to my brothers. And here's one more person I have to tell it to. I walked up to him, touched his face as I stare into his eyes.

"I need you to always remember something. No matter what you see, what you hear, no matter what other people say, don't ever forget this. Don't even question it. I love you. Forever and always."

"Did you learn that from Tanya?" Christan ruined the moment.

"I'm sorry. But I need to do this in my house." I told Oliver's parents and Cara, packing the phones away.

"I'm coming with you." Oliver stated firmly.

"Yes. Charles can drive us there. Bring Christan, would you?" I asked.

"Me?" He probably didn't expect that I would ask for him.

"You want to know the truth about Tanya, yes? Come with us." I gave brief hugs to the ones who would stay.