27 - Lee Smith

Ever since that first time that Oliver brought me to a social event, he rarely invites me to go. But this one was near his birthday, so I offered to go with him when he mentioned it in passing.

After having a meal together and talking with a number of new people (new because I haven't seen them before, though I knew Oliver must know their information), I found Christan on a corner and sat beside him. Oliver went to talk serious business with some fine gentlemen on the side. Normally, he wouldn't allow me to go on my own, but given that it's Christan who will accompany me (sort of), he allowed me to take a break sitting on the same corner.

"Hi." I greeted Christan before I sat on the stool next to him. It's only then that I realized it was the bar and he was drinking.

"Oliver left you already?" He really became annoying after the death of his wife.

"I was getting tired standing all the time, while he only speaks with people. I'm not needed in conversations anyway." I explained, just making conversation.

"So why come with him? You could have spent the night comfortably in your home, no?"

"It's nice to be out once in a while, as long as I don't get to meet those nonsensical women who only talk about superficial things."

"Tell me, what exactly is your reason for getting together with Oliver?" His question is to be expected. He already asked me that before, a number of times, but I didn't get to answer. Oliver would always stop him and push him away, telling him to go back home and take care of the kids, or something similar.

I mulled over his question as he ordered me a drink.

"My reason? Your brother."

"What about my brother? Because he's rich? Because he can provide for you?"

"Do you really think I would still be working two part-time jobs if I rely on your brother's wealth?"

"Then what's your reason?"

"It's because your brother wants to make me his girlfriend. Had he wanted to become simple friends, I would have been fine with it."

"You don't want my brother to be your boyfriend?" His raised eyebrow distracted me.

"Initially, I'm not really interested. Life's hard as it is, I don't have time for a boyfriend. Your brother was persistent. He didn't even let me have my say. He just decided that we'll start dating." I paused, why am I even explaining to him?

"You don't actually know our story, do you?" I suddenly realized. He must have his own prejudices and assumptions about me. Dating is personal, it's not like Oliver would report to him everything about us.

"Well, that's new. He didn't let you have a say? What, he just showed up and dragged you out on a date?"

"Well... when you say it like that... it doesn't seem accurate. I guess I could have said no or rejected him outright. But okay, I'll admit that I was attracted to your brother. That was essentially the first time someone cared for me. He could've just left. He could've just gone on with his own life after giving me some money. There was no need for him to take care of me, right?"

"I guess he's just as attracted to you. I just didn't realize you were his type. You were completely different from his exes, you know?"

I raised an eyebrow at him. "How would I know?"

"Right. You definitely won't know." He ordered another beer for himself. I am yet to finish the simple glass he got me. Given my alcohol allergy, I shouldn't take more than a sip. I narrowed my eyes, squinting at the clear liquid. I didn't notice him assessing me from head to toe.

"It's one thing to get someone attracted, it's another to keep him interested." He continued.

"Won't being an amnesiac be interesting enough? He could tell me anything and I would be more than willing to listen. In that sense, I find him interesting. Practically, no one's willing to talk to me the way he does. Most people find me boring because I lack the background and stories to tell."

He stared at me, then.

"Have you seen how people in this circle judge people based on how much money they possess? Given your background, a lot of people are going to assume you're a real gold digger. Can you endure that?"

"Endure? I don't think so. I can probably ignore it. What was it? Out of sight, out of mind. If Oliver doesn't bring me to these events, I won't hear them say it, right?"

I find myself laughing a little. He's right. Most of these people, if not all, will judge me based on my background. It's a scary thought when I dwell on it. The atmosphere turned serious.

"Just tell me something. Do you really like my brother? You don't like him because of his money, right?"

We stared seriously at each other.

"I would've punched you in the face if you weren't his brother."

"Is it that hard to answer?" He challenged. I rolled my eyes at him.

"I like Oliver, and it has nothing to do with his money. Satisfied?"

He nodded solemnly.

"So, you like him. You know it's a different story if you guys get married. He'll be your husband, not just your boyfriend. That will entitle you to half of everything he has."

This guy is starting to get annoying. I can almost understand Oliver's sentiments when he complained to me about his brother. I thought he was overreacting.

"They have... what-cha-ma-call-it? Prenup agreement? Your brother's not an idiot." I'm gonna deck this guy if he doesn't stop. I can understand where he's coming from, but I'm more on the same situation as Oliver right now.

"Tell me something. How did you feel when you realized your wife was cheating on you?" He'll probably hate me, but I decided to hit the nail on the head. He won't stop unless this gets discussed and settled between us.

He didn't answer immediately, probably contemplating on it. I decided to risk asking him.

"Did it make you feel as if all women in the world are cheaters? Your parents are still together, aren't they? You can't generalize something just because of something you experienced. There are a lot of factors to consider. Have you asked yourself enough questions? Why did she leave? Why did she cheat? Why didn't she stay with you? Why didn't she consider the kids? Were you good enough for her? Why weren't you? Did you lack something? Was there something you overlooked in your relationship?"

The anger in his eyes made me stop with the rhetorical questions. I know I triggered him, so I simply continued to stare at him, raising an eyebrow in question. Seemingly asking him, don't you agree?

I didn't expect him to snap. He threw his bottle of beer on the floor, with a number of guys getting hit by the broken glasses. He took every empty bottle on the bar and threw them down. I messed up. I stood up on the side, letting him vent. The men who were in the way reacted differently. Some went away cursing, others stayed and glared at Christan, seemingly waiting for a chance to get close and beat him up. They're not looking friendly. I tried apologizing on his behalf, trying to excuse his behavior without mentioning his wife. I mostly say he drank too much and was having personal problems. More men left but some still stayed. They don't look like your typical businesspeople. They straight out give off gangster vibes. I gulped.

Some of them began cursing us like crazy. This aggravated Christan more, I guess he's truly wasted. He wants to fight to relieve his pent-up anger. But these guys are not people to trifle with. Two of them grabbed bottles from tables and approached us. Christan kept on egging them on, asking them for a fight. I was tempted to beat him up myself. One broke the end of a bottle and was seemingly planning to use it like a knife. When he got close to Christan, who doesn't seem to see straight by now, he swung the broken bottle towards his body. I don't remember anything after that.