21 - Lee Smith

"Did you wait long?" I was taken out of my daydream, sitting on the railing, when Oliver spoke. I glanced at my wrist watch. 6:32 in the evening. Personally, I am not yet hungry. So, I can't say I've been waiting.

"You're early." I stood up to open the door for him. He's got packages on both hands.

I was feeling a little awkward. I still can't believe I dared to kiss him earlier. I shook my head at the thought.

"Any problem?" he asked after sitting down on the floor. I rarely sit on the floor, it can be really uncomfortable when you did for long.

"You can sit on the bed if you're uncomfortable."

"Is that an invitation?" I can hear his teasing note. One glare and he became solemn again.

"Sorry." He muttered as he opened the packages on the table one by one. I grabbed a milkshake.

I think both of us are unsure what to do, and what to talk about. This time, I kept my distance. I remained sitting on the floor and him sitting on the bed.

"Do you want to play 21 questions?" He suddenly asked as we were eating silently.

"What's that?" I asked back, savoring the taste of pork barbecue.

"We ask each other questions. Alternate. I ask you a question, you answer. Then you ask me a question and I answer. It's pretty much used in getting to know each other." He explained and I find it fascinating. Aya may have mentioned it once but I wasn't paying attention.

"Alright. Sounds lovely. You should know, though, I have a knack for discerning lies." He smiled at my statement.

"Yeah, you've proven that already. I don't know how you do that. But I'll be honest with you from now on."

"Promises, promises. I should give you a penalty whenever you break that promise." The truth was, I only watch expressions when I'm looking for liars. I find it easy to notice the discomfort, the nervousness, the fact that they can't look you in the eye, or they're too straight-forward it's like they're hiding something.

"Alright. Here's my question: Do you hate me?" His question made me pause my eating. It took me a while to contemplate. Watching him, I can tell he's a little nervous. In my mind, I was like... why would you ask a question that makes you nervous?

"I don't hate you. I hate the behavior. I would appreciate it if you don't mess with my life. You don't decide for me. I can do that for myself, and I ought to do that for myself. I'm sure you don't want me dictating you what to do, right? If I tell you to get away from your female associates, what would happen to your business? If I tell you to stay away from your female friends? In fact, don't have any female friends. Don't even look at one. That's what pissed me off. I need male friends, alright? There are some things you need to talk about with someone of the opposite sex. You won't get the same advice from someone of your own gender. I'm sure you understand what I mean."

I found him grinning when I finished. I actually didn't look at him while I'm speaking. I kinda focused on the food and the message. His expression turned solemn after we stared at each other for a minute though.

"Thank you. When you told me you hate me, my heart broke a little. I don't want you to hate me. I want you to love me. I want you to like me. And this probably helps in understanding each other better." He gestured to the two of us. I get that he's referring to our conversation.

"What's your question?"

I bit my lip. I don't want to focus on a specific statement of his.

"Why do you like me? I don't have a name. I'm not doing exceptionally well. I don't even have memories. For all we know I could be a seriously bad person. I don't know why you would want me." There, laid bare and vulnerable. I don't know anymore. We're doing a lot of staring at each other tonight.