67 - Lee Smith

The following week, I secured a copy of my updated property portfolio from my lawyer. Oliver had his office renovated to make space for me. He mentioned about teaching me how to manage the company, so he'll be hiring an assistant for me as well. Charles would have another company. Oliver is also planning to give Charles a month-long vacation, but not anytime soon. Maybe after he taught me more about the business. I already had the basics from before. Poor Charles can't seem to get that vacation. That was the intention when I was originally hired as executive assistant, but then... well, things happened.

Basically, I own my time. I can do whatever. Do things on my own pace, so I decided to study my portfolio. There are a lot of business names on it. Alex is right, I basically own at least one share in almost every company. I remember acquiring shares of Taylor Industries when Oliver bought Sanders Corp from me. Initially, I already have 3.4% of the total authorized shares. It went up to 17.2% after the acquisition was said and done. I wonder how much changed over the years.

And Alex is correct again. I can memorize these information with no problem. People's names, company names, contact numbers, and share-holdings. Why wasn't I able to last time? I didn't really try hard. I was afraid of messing up. It took me a while to even comprehend simple business terms. I was such a stupid assistant back then. I grimaced at the memories.

A number of the key personnel who visited Oliver's office is asking what the renovation is for.

I already ordered steel filing cabinets. All the folders my lawyer provided are stored in there. I was reading them one by one, after browsing the summary.

"Don't you feel uncomfortable?" I asked Oliver, one time I got tired of reading and was planning to get myself a cup of coffee.

"No. I can focus more with you within my sight." He replied, staring at me as he answers before going back to his file.

"Would you like some coffee?"

"Sure." I prepared some snacks for us to share. Unfortunately, the door opened and Charles said two directors are asking for an urgent meeting. Oliver gave him permission. I made two more cups of coffee and another plate of biscuits.

They looked agitated.

"Have you heard the news? Or should I say rumors?" If I remember correctly, his name is Simon Yale. The other is Mr. Conrad Foster.

I set the cups and plates quietly on the table. They seem surprised to see me. They probably didn't notice. Ah, right. Stealth is another skill I have practiced well in the past.

Both of them looked meaningfully at Oliver. I think they want me out. They did take their cups of coffee as they waited.

"What news or rumors have you heard?" Oliver asked them as he disregarded their concern.

They recovered well, if I say so myself.

"Well, Land Grams is supposedly trying to steal our clients. Sales already sent us reports that three project proposals have been cancelled this week. Two more are trying to cancel their contracts."

"Cancelling contracts would be costly. Not just to us, but to them as well." Oliver replied.

"Yes, but they are serious. We're sure of that. They were probably offered some financial gain."

"What kind of business would operate at a loss, unless they have so much excess funds?"

"Land Grams has been doing well in the last few years. The boss is tenacious. I heard she was able to finally schedule an appointment with you, Oliver."

Oliver and I exchanged looks. "I'll ask Charles."

He did confirm that Ms. Santiago of Land Grams has scheduled an appointment for Thursday, at 4 o'clock in the afternoon.