63 - Lee Smith

Today was different. Oliver's parents are kinder, and they actually talk to me politely. I was surprised when all three of my brothers emerged from a guest room.

We bickered like kids, and Oliver's parents actually laughed at us. I thought they would berate me for being childish or something. They teased me senseless for not being able to cook before, I had to show them how delicious my dishes are. They're all impressed, including the parents.

"Right. Do you remember going downstairs last night? You were so quiet we didn't hear you approach." Allen brought it up.

"Was I wearing slippers? I think I was barefoot." I replied. They all showed an expression of "ah, that makes sense".

When I felt how Oliver jumped from my embrace, I was jolted awake. I didn't let it show, though. Was I really that quiet when I walked down that none of them noticed?

It was Christan's birthday and we were invited to his house. Although his parents have already approved of me, it's not like I know my own stories to talk about it with them. I still mostly listen when there's a conversation going.

As a person not sociable enough, I decided to simply play with the kids. They're still adorable.

"That's a cute locket. Is there a picture inside?" I fingered the locket dangling from around Drew's neck. Carl also came close to look.

"We take turns wearing it. Mom gave it to us." I could feel the elders' eyes on us. I know that it's a sensitive topic.

"Really? Have you looked what's inside?" I sat down on the floor with them.

"No. We can't open it. We tried, though." Drew answered.

"Would you like me to open it for you?" I offered. They exchanged glances. Carl took it from Drew and handed it to me. We were huddled together as I tried to pry the locket open. It seems to be an unusual lock but somehow, I remember something like it. The lock should be turned before the key could be taken out and that's how it opens.

"Oh, look. This is our mom." I finally saw a picture of their mom. There's none in the house when I looked around. I didn't have the courage to ask Christan. And I'm not sure if I should ask Oliver.

"Our mom used to tell us something. Would you like to hear?" Carl offered.

"Yeah? What is it?" I asked, naturally curious.

"This is something you should always remember." He started. Drew followed.

"You should never ever forget about it."

"Whatever happens, keep it in mind."

"No matter what other people say contrary to this, don't listen to them, okay?"

My heart started pounding. The lines sounded familiar.

"No matter what you hear, just believe in me."

"Just believe in this." Drew giggled.

"I love you." Carl also giggled. They're cute. But I suddenly felt a headache coming.

"Always and forever."

"Remember it." They both kissed me on the cheek. Such sweet kids.

"That's enough. Come and eat." Christan spoke up.

I felt like there's something stuck in my heart and my head keeps throbbing. I wasn't able to stand.

"Are you alright?" Oliver was beside me in an instant.

"Headache." I muttered.

"What's wrong?" He noticed the hand on my chest.

"It's hard to breathe." I managed to say before I lost it.