79 - Leandra Sanders

Charles is a hardworking assistant. When I saw how much Oliver is paying him, I'm quite glad. He deserves it. I asked Oliver if I can plan his vacation itinerary. He gave me the go signal, but in reality, I asked Alex to plan a vacation for five, for Charles and his mother, and his sister's family of three. He does have a number of hotels in good places.

When he sent me his proposal, I showed it to Oliver. He approved.

The following week, Charles was startled to see me asking him so much about his work. As Leandra Sanders, there's a lot I could shorten. Like scheduling an appointment or meetings with other company's executives. I can't hide my grin. Charles only looked puzzled. I also don't need to visit most of the clients he has on list. I can just make calls. To be fair, I still plan to visit sites when needed, like confirming the area and the qualifications for the projects. He added me as user of his working email, and other website accounts. At the end of the third day, I pretty much understood everything. I basically told him to just watch on the fourth day. He only corrected me four times. On the last day of the week, I did my best so we can present him with the vacation package which will start on Monday. That will give him enough time to pack his bags and get his mom.

"But..." With his personality, I don't think he would easily accept a vacation.

"You saw me. I did well, didn't I? Go on a vacation. Since there are no classes now, you can even bring your nephew."

He just stared at the vacation documents. He knows I'm related to Alex West and he knows Queens Hotel. Alex decisively included four locations in his itinerary. They could stay at each location for a week.

"But..." He turned to Oliver.

"Go on and relax. We'll call you if we have issues, but you don't need to come in. This is long overdue."

"I don't know what to say..." I guess he's speechless. He wasn't really expecting it.

"That's good enough. The surprise worked, didn't it?" I went to hug him briefly. Oliver can't contain his irritated look, which made Charles cough and laugh.

Two months later, I can tell that I'm behaving differently than what Oliver is used to. Well, for one, I don't remember the last two years. For two, this is how I really is. I noticed him spacing out quite a few times when we're together. When I asked him about it, he just shrugs and says, "you're a little different". When I asked about specifics, he mentioned the way I talk, the way I walk, the way I conduct myself, there's this air of confidence that I didn't seem to possess previously. There's also the attitude of "taking-over" certain things.

There's also the fact that even I am confused about. My attraction to him is genuine. Even with my tough character, I found myself relying on him and looking up to him. I was never the kind of person to rely on others, I usually do things my own way. Though I ask favors from my trusted friends, it's a different story with strangers. I tagged Oliver as a stranger at the beginning. But with all the things we've done together, it was very easy to get close to him and to put my trust in him.

On a Thursday night, I noticed that he's sick and I demanded that he takes a rest. He's concerned about company issues, so I told him I'll take over.

"I'm not an idiot, no matter how much I seemed to be, previously. I'm a good strategist." To be honest, the only thing I'm banking on is the fact that I could demand help from any company I'm affiliated to.

"Don't push yourself too hard, though. If something can be postponed, just do that for now. I'll take care of it when I feel better." He mumbled under the sheets. His fever is high and he's burning up. I called our family doctor to check on him.

Early next morning, I called Charles to check up on the urgent issues that need Oliver's decision. I had him prepare the documents so I can start as soon as I get to the company. I haven't tried the long skirts Oliver said I used to wear in the office. I'm currently more comfortable with my slightly loose jeans, and clean shirts.