57 - Oliver Taylor

When Lee came into the conference room, she didn't show any sign of recognizing Alex West. Or she may have exchanged glances with him, but I didn't notice. She was included in the meeting as my executive assistant.

The negotiations proceeded normally. Each side fought hard for better terms, trying to back them up with justified reasons and the benefits they are willing to give when the other party agrees to them. Although I said that, the procession of the discussion is still light. Overall, Taylor Industries is at a disadvantage given the previous issues we faced, and Queens Hotel capitalized on it. Before we took a break, Alex West suddenly brought up personal issues. While the others review the revised terms, and no one's currently raising anything, he turned to me and asked.

"By the way, did you receive the gifts I sent you? There were two of them." He talked vaguely but looking at the smirk on his face, I figured he's talking about the woman he sent and the pictures. I glanced at Lee. She glanced at Alex when he spoke, but she was staring at me more. She raised an eyebrow when she saw me looking at her. Does that mean she doesn't know?

"Yeah, I got them. Thank you." I tried to act nonchalant about it, but I still feel mad inside.

He nodded, before saying "You're welcome."

I had Charles announce a break and presented the refreshments area to the guests. I saw Lee moving close to Alex. They seem to be engaged in a conversation. I sighed, unable to bring myself to move towards them. I walked out instead and headed to my office during this break. I would need a moment to straighten my thoughts. When I sat down behind my desk, the door opened. Lee followed me. I can only stare at her with an indifferent expression.

She sat on the sofa, facing me. "You looked angry earlier."

I didn't comment on her statement, but I avoided looking at her.

"Was it related to the gifts Alex mentioned?" She followed up.

I wasn't saying anything, but I'm not sure what kind of expression she's seeing from me. I already noticed that she calls him informally, by his given name.

"What did he send to you?" She walked closer to me this time. She sat on a corner of my table. I looked up at her. She looked genuinely concerned. That gave me hope. And looking back at the last two days, she couldn't have been acting. I want to slap myself. I've known her for a long time, and here I am starting to doubt her. I shouldn't. I should trust her, believe in her. I shouldn't be swayed, not by anything. Maybe that's what Alex was after, what he wanted to happen.

I leaned back on the chair as I looked at her. I sighed before answering her question.

"Remember last week, that woman who tried to touch me? He was instructed by Alex." I watched her expression. Unexpectedly, she was surprised.

"He sent that woman?" Her tone shows she finds it incredulous.

"I had Charles question her. He threatened to file a report to their HR if she wasn't truthful. It would be a terminable offense. She admitted to being instructed by Alex himself. She even provided a recording." I dared to observe her expression. She pursed her lips, and she looked annoyed, too. I know that look.

"Should I beat him up?" I can tell she's tensed, like she's really ready to beat someone up. She even had her hands fisted. I reached out for her hands. She relaxed a little after exhaling her breathe.

"Didn't he say two? What was the other one?" She raised an eyebrow. Her expression reads: what else did the bastard do?

As I stare at her eyes, I'm not sure if I should tell her. She's better at reading expressions than I do. She knew I was hesitating.