77 - Leandra Sanders

Charles was efficient. He released the announcement as early as eight o'clock. I liked the brief and concise statement he prepared and the simple photo of our wedding. My face can't be seen clearly though. Oliver is playing it safe. I asked Oliver about the photos and he handed me the albums.

"Do you think people will come in here to ask you?" I was curious.

"I don't think so. They wouldn't be able to look at you the same way. They'll be greeting you left and right starting today." I smirked. Whenever we come to the office in the morning, every employee we meet greets Oliver.

"How about your directors?"

"The same? They would be too embarrassed to see you."

"How do we assimilate to the situation, then?"

"We'll have lunch at the cafeteria again." I stared at him.

"Wouldn't people come to congratulate us? We'll be swarmed."

"Not very likely. Employees here still know how to keep their distance. They'll probably congratulate us in passing, but to come forward by themselves... it's not going to happen."

Before lunch time hits, Charles came in to inform us that gifts have been sent and are being checked by the security in the lobby. They're pouring in. Flowers and boxed items. Others are in envelopes, probably titles to properties.

"I'd say the announcement was more effective than me going to each company to tell them to leave Taylor Industries alone." I muttered.

Oliver chuckled.

"Since you're technically a shareholder of Taylor Industries, would you like a position in the board?" He asked after he instructed Charles to keep the gifts properly arranged in the lobby. It won't be convenient to send them up. It would be a sight to see.

It's good that I brought my sweepers today as well. While I was working, I used to carry it every single time. I don't really leave home without them.

I shrugged. To be honest, that would make me feel like I belong somewhere. But I can't seem to bring myself to admit that. The look Oliver gave me told me that he understood, though.

"Should we go down to the cafeteria a little early?" He asked.

"Sure. I'm starving." I followed him. As is the usual, he pulled me by the waist, and I did the same to him.

"So, when I was working as your assistant before, we don't normally do this?"

"Yes. You always keep your distance. I don't know how you always remember it."

I stopped at his sentence.

"That sounds like an undercover job." I muttered, he pulled me gently to keep walking.

As expected, everyone who saw us congratulated us. Their behavior is as Oliver predicted though. We can only nod and smile and say thank you. Oliver's feeding me again for lunch, but I grabbed a spoon as well. We basically feed each other while talking about random things. Oliver keeps bringing up short stories about my life in the last two years and I would keep contradicting him.

This guy suddenly stood next to us. I turned to Oliver, who coughed.

"Come, sit down." Oliver said. He even pulled the guy down.

"We didn't realize you guys have already been married for that long. Congratulations!"

His ecstatic expression is contagious, so I smiled at him and said thanks. I thought he's close to Oliver.

"What's wrong with you?" He suddenly asked, staring at me.

"Do I...?" I was about to ask, but Oliver cut me off.

"Lee bumped her head again. She's got short-term amnesia." The guy's shocked expression is funny.

"Lee, this is Elian. He was your friend while you were still working at Tracy's."

"Hi." I didn't realize this guy was actually my friend.

"Hey." It became awkward then.

"Keep it a secret. She'll recover them soon." Oliver stated.

"But... we talked not too long ago." Elian said.

"It happened last week." I gestured to my head.

"Oh... that's... you should take better care of yourself." He sounds like my brother. I smiled. I know now why we became friends.

"You sound like my brother." I told him.

"You have a brother?" He asked.

"You guys should go out sometime. Maybe we could go on a double date. How's your girlfriend?" Oliver suggested.

"Oh, Cindy. She's taking care of our kid. He's a big boy now. Quite a handful, crawls everywhere."

"Have you eaten?" I asked, noticing he doesn't have a food tray yet.

"Oh, yeah. My break's almost over. I should grab a bite. See you guys later."

"Thank you." I called out to him.