69 - Lee Smith

I feel like I'm going insane. Gerry explained that the car crash rendered me with no memory. So, I lived as Lee Smith the last two years. That's when I met Oliver and had a life with him. I recovered all my memories a few months ago, joined a raid, and lost my memory of the last two years when I bumped my head again. I winced, feeling up the bump on my head.

"I'm going to sleep. Maybe when I wake up, this is all just a bad dream." I muttered as I cover myself with the blanket. Gerry bid goodbye and strictly told me to contact him anytime I need him. Taylor remained in the room. It was now just the two of us. When he touched my hand, I pulled it away. His look of frustration tugged at my heart. He scrubbed his hand over his face, before sitting down on a chair on the side of my bed.

He just stared at me. "Sleep. You need to rest well." The way he said it gently and with genuine concern touched my heart. But I just stared at him, still not believing that he's my husband. He has a handsome face and a nice build. Yep, I'm definitely checking him out, but he doesn't need to know that. For all he knew, I'm just trying to remember him, which is true anyway.

"Can I hold your hand?" He asked after about ten minutes, holding out his left hand towards me. I have both my hands under the blanket cover. That heartbroken expression is back on his face. Unconsciously, I found myself reaching out to him. I can see the relief in his eyes when I did. Then he clasped my hand in both of his. He hid his face behind our joined hands. I continued to watch him. I was surprised to learn he's crying. I felt really bad I wanted to give him a hug. I tried sitting up to touch him. When I did, he wrapped his arms around my waist as he continued to hide his face. I've never seen a man cry. He's a gentle soul, I can tell that much. I patted him on his back. I've never really allowed a stranger to get this close to me, but somehow, I felt comfortable with him.

"I want you to be honest with me." I decided to tell him. He looked up to see my face, but he didn't let go of my waist. I find myself wiping his tears away. That action took me by surprise. For me, that was intimate.

"Always am." He stated.

"For now, I will take it as face value that you're my husband. But when I ask you questions, you have to tell me the truth."

"I will." He responded, a hint of smile on his face. I stared at his eyes again.

"Why do I feel like there's something you regret?" I'm good at observing people. I can tell that much from his actions and expressions.

His embrace tightened. I had one hand on his shoulder.

"You called me three times before the raid. I was in a meeting, so I wasn't able to answer. When I tried calling you back, I can't reach you. Your phone was turned off. I thought something was wrong. You rarely call and you didn't leave a message, which is what you usually do. I've gone crazy trying to find you. When the news was out about the FBI busting a drug syndicate, I thought you might be there. I was able to contact Gerry last night and he confirmed it. He told me to come here. I promised myself that from now on I'll always answer your calls, anytime."

The way his voice was unstable, I can tell the emotions that went through him during those times he mentioned.

"I really don't like typing. Making calls is much easier." I really have nothing to say so I just said what's on my mind.

"I'll remember that." He said it as he stared into my eyes. He's sincere. And gentle. And honest. And comfortable. I'm starting to like him.

"Didn't you say you have a headache? You should sleep it off." He disentangled himself from me and somehow, I felt empty. He's warm. I'm really starting to like him.

"How long have we been married?" I asked, laying down on the bed. Why is it huge?

"About nine months. February 22." He answered, tucking me in on the bed.