13 - Lee Smith

He's always so busy when he visits at the restaurant. Sometimes, I find him already seated even before I start my shift.

"You're turning this booth into your own office." I told him when I had time to sit down Friday night.

He gave me a smile. "Don't worry. I already talked to Tracy. We reached an agreement for me to monopolize this booth." He turned his attention back to a folder of documents. I'm thankful his booth is on the side of the room.

"But why work here? I'm sure it's more convenient in your office. It's somewhat chaotic here during meal times."

"For some reason, I find myself unable to focus in the office. And here, I do. So, here am I."

"Your boss is okay with you working out of the office, and out of the office hours?" I saw him hesitate in answering my question.

"My employer doesn't mind. It's all good. The company allows flexi-time to some employees."

"And you're one of those employees?" Another hesitation. "Yes." He says.

I'm missing something here.

"How did you convince Tracy to let you use one of the booths, exclusively?"

Another hesitation. "We agreed on a minimum daily spending on meals."

I know I shouldn't be intimidated, but somehow, I suddenly felt inadequate. I found myself silenced by my thoughts.

"You okay?" He asked when he noticed my silence. I stared at him.

"Yes, gotta go." I dismissed myself. I know he's loaded, but I'm starting to think he's so much more. I'm staring to suspect that he owns the big house, not renting it. All his gadgets are high-end. If he's spending a hundred bucks every time he visits Tracy, that would be two grand in a month. I sighed to myself.

"What's wrong? You look so deep in thought. Penny for them?" Aya found me spacing out at the break room. I can only shake my head. I don't feel like talking.

"What did big boy do?" She asked, raising an eyebrow. But I turned to look in the other direction, I really don't feel like talking right now.

"Lee," her voice softened. "What did he do? Did he hurt you?" now she's sounding panicked. She was in front of me in a second, demanding answers.

I sighed. "Nothing. I'm alright. Just thinking."

"Are you sure? You look like you're gonna be sick." I winced at her statement, opening my locker. I took a towel out. I better wash my face.

"I'll be fine. Don't worry." I turned to go.

For the rest of the night, I freaking messed up numerous orders, Aya had to sit me down and cover my section. I don't think I enjoyed thinking.