58 - Lee Smith

Two weeks later, when I returned on Saturday evening after spending time with my brothers, Oliver has a visitor. I think they're working on some sort of proposal. Even his parents dropped by. They heard about the marriage, but they still haven't approved of me. I can tell, even if they weren't saying anything.

It was Allen who dropped me off. He laughed at me when I realized my house isn't that far from Oliver's. He said he'll stay the night at my place. Given all the things they told me about myself, as the oldest of four siblings, I guess I have tried giving them everything I have.

Oliver was busy with his visitor, so he didn't notice my arrival. I only stared at them. Now that I think about it, he did tell me that I was the first and only girl he brought to his home. That wasn't true anymore. Damn if I'm feeling jealous again. It was his mom who noticed me.

"Oh, the wife's here. Shouldn't you be staying at home and preparing dinner for your husband?" She noted. Oliver was quick to rescue me, rushing to my side.

"Mom, please." He gave me a quick kiss before explaining the situation.

"We have an urgent business proposal to make. We need to finish it for presentation tomorrow morning. Apparently, some other investors are vying for the same property we wanted for our joint venture. It's in the best location. This is Clara, my business developer. Clara, this is Lee, my wife."

The woman was polite. We shook hands after greeting each other. I haven't actually met every employee of Taylor Industries, though I'm sure I've seen Clara around at least once.

"Have you guys eaten? Do you want me to cook something?" I whispered to Oliver. Somehow, I don't want his parents listening.

"It's alright. We already had dinner. Have you eaten?"

"Yeah, I already did. You guys want some soup and quick bread?" I thought of a light snack I recently learned to make.

"That would be good, but not right now. Maybe later." He went back to his laptop beside Clara. Clara looked agitated as she went through files after files. Observing Clara, she's professional enough. I don't think she's interested in her boss.

His parents are watching television on the side. I'm practically in the middle, at the living room, watching Oliver and Clara. Inside, I prayed his parents won't bother me. I only heard his mom huffed when Oliver asked her to stop.

"You have a big circle of friends. Are you sure none of them has any connection to Allen?" Clara asked without looking up, still focused on her own laptop and typing away.

"What are you guys working on?" I dared to ask in a soft tone. I don't want to bother them. They can simply ignore me if they're too busy.

"There's this property we want to acquire for our venture. Another company also expressed their desire to purchase it, so we're preparing a proposal that the seller cannot refuse. Unfortunately, we aren't acquainted with Allen Smith so we're not sure how to approach him or how to properly present our ideas to him." Clara responded, leaning back on the sofa. I guess she's tired already, hunched over the various files and her laptop all the time.

"Why do you need a proposal if it's just property acquisition?" I asked, not really understanding everything about business, though I do understand the basics now. Oliver was busy browsing some papers, but he took time to answer me.

"The man accepts a rate of return on ventures. We can include it in our acquisition terms to make him agree. If the venture is feasible and the profit rate is high, he can choose to sell it to us at a lower price, but with a share on the venture's profit."

"I'll make that soup, now." I stood up when Oliver nodded.

I was contemplating whether I ought to save them trouble and just ask Allen for a favor. I sent him a text. Hopefully, he won't think it's too much. He replied almost instantly, telling me it's no problem. He asked which property it was so he can instruct his assistant to make the legal arrangements. I didn't realize it will be that easy. I almost burned the soup. I took the small pot in a tray with a number of bowls and brought it into the living room.