44 - Oliver Taylor

I re-read the revised work contract for Lee. I looked at the clock. She said she'll be back before lunch time. There's still twenty minutes and yet she's already knocking on my office door.

"I brought lunch. Where do we eat?" She asked, hiding behind the door. I can tell she's wearing new clothes. I gestured towards the small table on a corner of my office where I usually eat.

"I brought some for Charles as well." She added, eyeing the two chairs. I sighed.

"We can have it right here." I gestured at the sofa set with the mini table in the center.

"Is that alright?" She asked.

"Yes. Come inside. Tell Charles to be quick."

I seated myself as I waited for the two of them. I held my breathe as Lee enters. She did something with her hair, added to her white blouse, black skirt that goes well below the knee, and high-heeled shoes. This is a Lee I haven't seen before.

"You look beautiful." I can't help telling her.

"Thank you." She took out the take-out boxes and laid them on the table.

Charles brought the drinks.

"I feel like a third wheel. Next time, just give me my portion and eat with Oliver. Don't invite me." He stated plainly. Lee didn't look hurt, though. She was smiling.

"I just thought you guys eat meals together."

"Sometimes. Charles only brings me my lunch and goes down to the cafeteria."

She was silent.

"Should I eat in the cafeteria as well?" She asked after praying.

I exchanged a look with Charles.

"Maybe once or twice a week. Just let the people know you're also working here." Charles suggested. I nodded in agreement.

She bought the dishes I liked the most. Sometimes I wonder how she knew. I knew her favorites because Aya and the workers at Tracy's told me. But maybe I would've also noticed.

"Are you going to give me a tour?" She asked Charles, who looked to me for comment.

"Maybe on Friday. For now, just study the documents. There are employee profiles as well, of heads and key personnel."

"I understand. I'll study them well." She had that determined look on her face again.

Charles ate fast. I'm glad he didn't choke.

"I still need to visit one site. I'll go first." He bid goodbye after getting a drink.

"Was it really uncomfortable to him?" Lee asked me as she continued to eat.

I shrugged. "Probably. I need to tell you something."

"What is it?" She turned to me to look.

"If you're not enjoying this job, you tell me. Immediately. Don't force yourself. We'll find something else that might work for you. I want you to be happy while working. I already miss your smile." I touched her face while she stared at me.

"It's just my first day." Then, she smiled again. "I'm sure it will be fun."