Chapter 3: A New Day, Another Path

I awake to the feeling of the first raise of sunlight hitting my face, it had barely begun to rise as I look out of the window through the branches of the surrounding trees. I smile as I hear soft snoring coming from behind me. Looking down I see Legolas's hand wrapped gently around my waist. I smile and think about what life could be like if things were different if I had found him after the battle. Could we have had a life together? Would I have found out whether he felt the same about me that I felt for him all those years ago, the feelings I still have today? I'm snapped out of my thoughts as I feel him shift closer to me.

"Good morning," I whisper gently. He mumbles something in response, something along the lines of "five more minutes", I chuckle gently and carefully maneuver out of his grasp to go and get the wolves ready. I stretch my body, slightly sore from sleeping on the couch all night. Opening the door to my study I quietly tiptoe down the walkway ensuring that I don't wake anyone up. Once I make it to the kitchen, I wander through to the lounge to wake up Shadowpaw and his family. Once I get in front of him, I gently prod his side with my foot to wake him up. He makes a soft huffing noise and gets up.

'You didn't need to prod me so hard.' He grumbles in my mind. I can tell he didn't sleep well again; I must remember to grab some more lavender. I ponder over the idea as I collect a small vile containing a singular bud of lavender and the last couple of drops of lavender oil. I pick up a bowl of cold, lavender-scented water from the windowsill and toss the remains out of the window before returning it to its place and putting the lavender oil vile in the small cabinet beneath.

"I'll get you some more herbs for your aches soon." I murmur to Shadowpaw telepathically petting him sympathetically as he begins to wake up his family with little grunts. I turn to the door and wander outside to the edge of the glade.

I glance to my home looking all the way up, to the top of my rather grand treehouse, and smile. Focusing back on the forest in front of me I notice a black mass moving among a few thick bushes. I smirk and give a sharp whistle.

Through the thick trees, I can see one of Shadowpaw's younger brothers Cobalt. The blue-eyed wolf sniffs the air then comes bounding up to me in glee. "Hey there bud," I say giving the large wolf a scratch under the chin. "I'm gonna be gone for a bit, along with Shadowpaw, Rusty, and their kids. So, you're in charge while we're gone, okay?" Cobalt makes a low grumble in response.

'How long will you be gone for?' He asks inquisitively in my mind.

"I'm not sure how long we'll be gone. But I promise I'll send word if it will be a while."

'I shall let the pack know.' He says and turns to leave.

"Cobalt, you and Onyx will be in charge of the pack while Shadowpaw is with me." He nods his head in answer then bounds back into the forest. I head back inside to start packing after grabbing the wolf's gear from the back of my house. Walking in through the door I hear voices talking about possibly making breakfast, and making sure to ask me first. I chuckle and dump the packs on the floor. The voices hush at the loud noise, and I walk into the kitchen. Everyone is awake and waiting at the table. I smile and laugh slightly. "I see you boys are ready for breakfast?" I say still laughing. My response is a resounding yes, and lots of fast nods from Merry and Pippin. Chuckling I walk through the small door into my huge pantry that's filled to the brim with food. Grabbing a few chunks of cheese, a couple of loaves of bread, and a few other things, such as fruit, honey, and some freshly made bread biscuits that I had made the day before, I wander back out to the kitchen and place all of it on the table. I hear a few gasps around the table and look at all of the men sitting at it. Pippin then points and says,

"You got wings?" I nod realizing that I hadn't shown them or even told them about my wings yet.

"Uh...Yeah, um...My Dad gave them to me." I say nervously. Pippin looks at me quizzically.