Chapter 7: Peace Under the Trees

After an hour or so of silence occurs I overhear Boromir and Aragorn speaking in hushed tones. Feeling too drowsy to listen in I close my eyes getting ready to rest. I hear a little shuffling from across the sleeping area and then hear Pippin pipe up.

"What do you suppose Galadriel meant by 'do not discourage her if she wishes to join you'?" he asks no one in particular.

"I think she meant that Nymira may want to join our quest and we shouldn't tell her not to if she does." Merry says quietly to his fellow hobbit. Pippin nods along in understanding.

"Nymira?" Pippin asks.

"Hmm?" I respond not really paying attention.

"Would you want to come with us?" I sit there thinking for a moment, then look up at the hopeful hobbit.

"Sure, why not? Haven't been out on an adventure for a fairly long time. About six years by my count." I say happily. Pippin looks at me excitedly. "Now go to sleep Pip, you'll need your strength." I say in a sweet Motherly tone. Pippin nods and immediately snuggles down into his bedding. A low chuckle comes from the direction of Aragorn's bedding, I hadn't even noticed his return. Too consumed in conversation I suppose.

"I remember when you used to use that tone with me." He says still lightly laughing.

"And I still do, now go to sleep." I say using the same tone I used on Pippin. Aragorn rolls his eyes and smiles but complies with my request. Within a couple of hours, everyone except myself and Legolas are asleep.

"Want to go for a walk?" Legolas's honey-sweet voice rings through my ears. I nod in response and follow him out of the sleeping area. We walk for a while in silence until we find a bench to sit on. I look around at the beauty of Lothlórien. Being on the fringes of the forest really does have its letdowns, but it also has its upsides. I get to be alone with my animals and I get to do what I want when I want to do it. Suddenly I feel Legolas slide his arm around my waist and pull me closer to him. "Nymira, do you know how long I've waited to be with you again?" He asks in a lower register than usual as he scans his eyes all over me, and then lands them on my blue orbs. I shake my head as I wrap my arms around his neck and rest my forehead against his. "All those talks we had back in Mirkwood, I wanted to hold you like this, to be close to you like this. Nymira I..." I jump awake to see the sun shining into the sleeping area, I'm snuggled against Fang like I was last night. 'Damit why did it have to be a dream?' I think to myself angrily.

I stomp out of the sleeping area and go to get something to eat. I spend the next few hours getting to know the members of the Fellowship better. Mainly the hobbits and Boromir. I teach Sam a few of my recipes and a bit of my medical knowledge, as well as teaching Frodo some of my meditation techniques to help keep his mind calm. At the end of the day, I feel closer to the hobbits. The wolves have warmed up to them as well, especially Frost, being young and playful helps with making friends quickly and also provides plenty of entertainment for the Fellowship.

We spend the next four and a half weeks gathering items for our journey and getting closer as a group. I share stories from my past with the group and in return, they share some of theirs. It turns out that Merry, Gimli, and Pippin are born storytellers, and Pippin and Merry's stories always have me rolling on the ground laughing uncontrollably after they finish.

I also help Aragorn and Boromir with training the hobbits in defense tactics in the days leading up to our departure, a lot of it is full of Pippin and Merry pouncing on either Boromir or me, but after a while, they started to concentrate and they have learned a lot. The hobbits have also helped me a lot with gathering medical herbs and picking flowers for me to put into my journal that was going to depict our journey from start to finish. On the last night we spend in Lothlórien I decide to show the hobbits a few of my special moves and teach Merry a little bit of archery. I doubt that he will ever use it in the future though.

As we go to sleep for the night, I'm plagued with restless thoughts which seep into my dreams turning them to nightmares. I finally find rest once Aragorn comes to lay next to me and rubs circles into my back to keep me calm.

"I remember doing this when we were out on the road together, back in your ranger days. Why did that all stop?" Aragorn asks me quietly. I shrug.

"I don't know, after some of the things we had to do in some of the missions, I kind of lost enthusiasm for the whole ranger lifestyle. Plus, I felt like I finally wanted to settle down and find somewhere where I could have a peaceful life. But I must admit, I do miss the adventurous life, that's why I travel every few years and visit old friends, and why I decided to join the Fellowship I guess." I say smiling.

"That makes sense, now off to sleep. We're leaving tomorrow." I close my eyes and fall asleep next to my brother. The next morning, I wake up to an empty sleeping area. I'm the last to get up as usual. I yawn and stretch as I sit up in bed. None of the wolves are around, so they must have already gotten up. I look to the entrance of the sleeping area as I see Aragorn's head pops through. "Hey there sleepy head, we're going soon come get breakfast." He says leaning in. I look up at him and smile slightly. He leaves after returning my smile and I get dressed into my travel wear quickly and meet the others outside. After breakfast, we pack our gear and load it onto the boats supplied by the Elves of Lothlórien. There is a special one equipped for me and the wolves.

"Hey, thanks for comforting me last night. It's been a while since I've had dreams like that, but having someone there for me was nice." I say to Aragorn as I help him load a couple of bags onto his boat.

"That's okay, I got to look out for my sister after not seeing her for a few years." He says chuckling. I smile back at him and we wander over to the rest of the Fellowship. As we stand on the shore, guards adorn us with cloaks pinned at the neck with green, silver-veined leaf brooches.

"Never before have we clad strangers in the garb of our people. May these cloaks help shield you from unfriendly eyes." Celeborn spoke as the guards stepped away. The Fellowship quickly go to finish packing their things and getting into the boats. As I'm loading the last few packages for the wolves and me, I look over to see Legolas speaking to Pippin and Merry, explaining what Lembas bread is. I giggle as I overhear Pippin admitting to eating four whole wafers. I turn as I overhear Celeborn speaking in hushed tones to Aragorn. "Every league you travel south, the danger will increase. Mordor Orcs now hold the eastern shore of the Anduin." As I zone back out of Aragorn and Celeborn's conversation, we board the boats. The wolves lay down gracefully on our boat as I stand between them. I see Legolas kindly helping Gimli onboard one of the boats, and Sam struggling to steady himself. Aragorn walks away with Celeborn to talk a bit more before we leave. Once he is back, we begin our journey down the river, and I begin remembering what Galadriel gave me as a gift of good luck.

*Flashback to receiving the gift*

"Nymira, I am unsure what to give you as I see you may have already found what your heart desires most." Galadriel speaks softly and glances over to Legolas admiring his new bow. "You deserve happiness, my dear, we both know how long you have searched for that feeling. I only hope that he returns what you feel in your heart for him. When he realizes he does, he will tell you, I just hope he does soon." She sighs lightly.

"I do as well." I say gazing fondly at the blonde Prince.

"However, there is one thing I have for you." She says kindly and motions for a guard to come forward. "This blade is strong and steady like you. I hope you can use it as well as its last master did. It is called Langoril or otherwise known as Glittering Sword, it is made from Mithril, it will never break, much like your spirit." She says with a smile as I carefully swing around the long sword. "Do not worry, I have already sent word to your pack that you will be going with the Fellowship." she adds as she sees the sudden realization on my face.

*End of flashback*

I look ahead of me as I hear Gimli begin to speak.

"I have taken my worst wound at this parting, having looked my last upon that which is fairest. Haugh, henceforth I will call nothing fair unless it be her gift to me."

"What was it?" Legolas asks.

"I asked for one hair from her golden head. She gave me three."

I smile knowing the meaning behind the gift, glad that Gimli is accepted by the elven people. And most importantly someone who I care about like they were my mother.