Chapter 19: The Kiss Of A Lifetime

We had been riding for hours before we found a place to rest. It was a small flat hill connected to a cramped cave. It did, however, provide enough shelter for us all to fit inside. As the wolves got settled in the back of the cave. Gimli went to tie up the horses. I began to set up sleeping places for everyone along with the help of Legolas. He set his roll next to mine as he had done for the past few nights of rest. I notice Aragorn and Gandalf gaze at the red glow on the horizon. Mordor was getting too close for my liking.

Gandalf begins to speak so I go over to listen. Standing behind the two men I also gaze at the red glow of Mordor.

"The veiling shadow that glowers in the East takes shape. Sauron will suffer no rival. From the summit of Barad-Dûr, his Eye watches ceaselessly. But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. Doubt ever gnaws at him. The rumor has reached him: the heir of Númenor still lives. Sauron fears you, Aragorn. He fears what you may become. And so, he'll strike hard and fast at the world of men." Gandalf says never moving his gaze from the glowing light. "He will use his puppet Saruman to destroy Rohan. War is coming. Rohan must defend itself and therein lies our first challenge, for Rohan is weak and ready to fall. The King's mind is enslaved. It's an old device of Saruman's. His hold over King Théoden is now very strong. Sauron and Saruman are tightening the noose." He continues. He seems calm even though he brings bad news.

"If Saruman has taken the mind of Thèoden, then I would happily take his head myself." I mutter under my breath.

"Saruman is still of use to us Nymira, if you kill him, we will not be able to obtain any useful information on Sauron's plans." Gandalf says looking over his shoulder at me. "But for all their cunning, we have one advantage. The Ring remains hidden, and that we should seek to destroy it has not yet entered their darkest dreams. And so, the weapon of the enemy is moving towards Mordor in the hands of a hobbit. Each day brings it closer to the fires of Mount Doom. We must trust now in Frodo. Everything depends upon speed and the secrecy of his quest." He finishes with hope in his eyes. He looks to Aragorn who seems disheartened.

"Do not regret your decision to leave him. Frodo must finish this task alone." Gandalf says comfortingly.

"He is not alone. Sam went with him." Aragorn says, a slight smirk on his lips.

"Did he? Did he indeed? Good. Yes, very good." Gandalf says smiling. I nod knowing that Frodo is in good hands with Sam. Sam would never leave his side.

"We should rest." Gandalf says walking towards the makeshift bed I had made for him out of a spare blanket and one of the wolves' saddles. Luckily it had a soft fur cover on it, or else it would've been uncomfortable.

"I'm going to go on a walk, I'm still saddle sore. Need to stretch my legs a bit." I say going towards my stuff and grabbing one of my short swords just in case I come across any trouble.

"I'll come with you...for...safety." Legolas says as a slight blush dusts his cheeks. I laugh a little and nod. The two of us begin our walk, we don't go far. We eventually stop when we find a clearing with a small stream running through it. I crouch next to it and cup some water in my hands. Bringing it to my lips, I swallow the cool liquid. Legolas drops down beside me and copies my movements. He hums happily as he swallows the freshwater.

He gets up and offers me his hand. "Care to dance?" He says smiling. I look at him confused. He looks around him and I realize how beautiful the area actually is. The clearing is covered in small light blue and purple forget-me-nots, and blue-bells edged the glade. The air was filled with fireflies, the brightest I've ever seen. The moment was so romantic that I couldn't help but say yes to dance with the Prince.

"I'm not very good." I point out nervously. He just laughs.

"Stand on my feet. Don't worry it won't hurt." I do as he asks and we slowly start to sway in a small circle. My arms rest around his neck as he holds my waist. He pulls me closer so that our chests are touching. "Nymira, I know that Galadriel gave you the sword as her gift. But I know that she said something to you that day in Lothlórien." Legolas says slowly, in an almost whisper. "I know it had something to do with me since I caught you gazing at me just before she gave you the sword." He says touching his forehead to mine.

"Y... Yes..." I stumble over my words.

"What was it?" He asks gently. I blush and look down as we stop moving. Stepping off his feet I back away slightly. However, he instantly pulls me back. "Nymira, you don't have to be afraid. You don't have to tell me if you're not ready." He says quietly, stroking his fingers along my jaw. I stare into his bright blue eyes.

"She said that she was unsure what to give me as she could see that I may have already found what my heart desires most. And that I deserve happiness. Because we both know how long I have been searching for that feeling. She only hoped that you returned what I feel in my heart for you. And that when you realize that you do, that you would tell me. She just hoped that you did sooner rather than later." I say looking down. Legolas raises my chin.

"I do, and I'm sorry that it took so long for me to tell you. I've felt this way ever since our first meeting in Mirkwood. I love you Nymira. I want to be with you." Legolas says smiling down at me. I stare at him in shock.

"Is this a dream? Am I dreaming?" I say stunned.

"No, you're not." He says smiling.

"Prove it." I say smirking at him. Without even a second between me ending my sentence, Legolas smashes his lips on mine. The kiss felt like it lasted a lifetime. We were so in sync with each other. We had finally found our missing puzzle piece. We had found each other. And we loved each other with a passion that no words could ever describe.