Chapter 24: To The Hornburg

"They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wildmen are moving through the westfold, burning as they go, every rick, cot, and tree." Èowyn says after giving the two young children some food. Èothain had woken up again after I had given him some water.

"Where's mama?" Freda asks looking at Èowyn.

"Hush." Èowyn says gently.

"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven mad by the fear of Sauron." Gandalf says sitting next to Thèoden on his throne. "Ride out and meet him head-on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight." Gandalf urges.

"You have two thousand good men riding north as we speak. Èomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their King." Aragorn agrees with Gandalf.

"They will be three hundred leagues from here by now! Èomer cannot help us." Thèoden says disheartened.

"Thèoden, you must fight! No matter what! Saruman will send his forces to kill your people. It's easier to take them head-on. Bring the fight to their doorstep. Do something they won't expect! Let your people defend themselves! You must stand your ground!" I say walking forward from my place against the wall.

"I know what it is that you want of me. But I would not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war." Thèoden says brushing off my words.

"Open war is upon you, whether would risk it or not." Aragorn says angrily getting to his feet.

"When last I looked, Théoden, not Aragorn, was King of Rohan." Thèoden says taking a step towards Aragorn. I step between the two men.

"Thèoden, you must fight." I say looking him in the eye. All I get is a huff in response.

"Burp!" Gimli lets out as he eats noisily in the background.

"Then what is the King's decision?" Gandalf asks stepping forward.

"Let them flee! We go to Helms Deep!" Thèoden says through gritted teeth.

"If you do that your people will be hunted as they walk! They will not all survive the travel! They are not built for that way of life; they are farmers and stable boys. You will be sending them to their deaths, it is folly!" I say angrily.

"Nymira! I am King of Rohan! What I say, my people will do! They will go to Helms Deep!" Thèoden shouts back.

"And I am Nymira daughter of Eru Ilúvatar! I outrank you. These are my people just as much as they are yours! My Father created them, and it is my duty to him to keep them safe and out of harm's way!" I shout back with just as much intensity.

"They go to Helms Deep, that is final!!" Thèoden says darkly and walks away.

"Fine! But don't you dare come crying to me when your people start dropping like flies because they can't survive the long road!" I yell after him. Turning on my heel I storm towards the doors of the hall. Slamming them open I run to the stables. I hear Háma calling out across the courtyard.

"By order of the King, the city must empty. We make for the refuge of Helm's Deep. Do not burden yourself with treasures. Take only what provisions you need."

Legolas quickly follows after me calling my name.

"Nymira! Nymira wait!" He calls. I don't stop until I get to the entrance of the stables.

"I love him like a brother, but sometimes he does the stupidest things!" I say bitterly turning to Legolas. I instantly get wrapped in his arms in a hug.

"I love you, and how passionate you are about keeping everyone safe. But he is the King of these people." He says pulling away slightly.

"And I'm their defender and representer of their needs." I say dismissively. Legolas frowns slightly. I laugh and then proceed to smash my lips on his. I hadn't kissed him for a while and I needed something to take my mind off of Thèoden's stupidity. Legolas hungrily kisses me back and begins to walk me backward until my back touches the wall of the stable entrance. "Careful there twinkle toes, don't get too caught up in the moment. I might not be able to keep my hands off you otherwise." I say teasingly.

"Who said that would be a bad thing?" He says with a sly smirk on his face. I smirk back in amusement and go back in to kiss him until we are rudely interrupted by a rather forced cough.

"If you two are quite finished, Aragorn wants you to help saddle up the horses and wolves lass." Gimli's gruff voice says from next to us. I instantly blush not knowing how long he had been there. We both follow Gimli inside. Legolas takes my hand as we reach Aragorn and Gandalf. "Helm's Deep! They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their King?" Gimli says sounding discouraged.

"He is only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past." Aragorn says trying to salvage what little faith any of us had left in the King.

"There is no way out of that ravine. Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he is leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre." Gandalf says still not knowing what to do. "Théoden has a strong will but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan." Gandalf continues turning to Aragorn. "He will need you before the end, Aragorn, as well as you Nymira. The people of Rohan will need you. The defenses have to hold." He says desperately.

"They will hold." Aragorn confirms.

"We will make sure of it!" I say trying to give my old friend some hope. Gandalf nods and turns to Shadowfax, giving the White horse a stroke down his nose.

"The Grey Pilgrim. That is what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth and now, I have no time." Gandalf says exhausted. "With luck, my search will not be in vain." He says as he gets on Shadowfax. "Look to my coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East." He says gazing at Aragorn and myself. I nod in understanding.

"Go." Aragorn says standing back from the stall gate as he holds it open. Gandalf then whispers something to Shadowfax and speeds off.