Chapter 23: The King's Son

I storm forward and grab the foul thing by the hem of his cloak. I fly towards the door closely followed by Thèoden and my friends. As soon as I reach the door, I throw the rat out with all my strength. Glaring at the weasel of a man as he rolls down the stairs, cutting his lip in the process. I smirk as I land back down next to Thèoden.

The King steps forward menacingly.

"Argh! I've only ever served you, my lord." Gríma cowers on the ground, afraid that he may lose his life. He would deserve it too for what he has done.

"Your leechcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!" Thèoden yells stepping forward.

"Send me not from your side!" Gríma begs, getting to his knees. Thèoden raises his sword about to strike down the sniveling leech. Aragorn stops him before he can swing.

"No, my lord! No, my lord. Let him go. Enough blood has been spilt on his account." Aragorn says gently to the King. I step forward to help up the thing on the ground. Gríma takes my hand then unexpectedly pulls me into a kiss. I push him off of me and wipe my mouth. I feel like I am about to be sick. I hear a disgusting laugh leave the roach's lips. I glare at the man and kick him in the ribs. Sending him flying down the next flight of stairs.

"You have just shot your way to the top of my kill list! If I ever see your putrid, disgusting, vile, rat face ever again! I will not hesitate to put a knife straight through your head, right between your eyes! Don't you ever come back here! If you do, you will severely regret it!" I scream at the bastard stomping forwards. My whole-body sets on fire, my wings come out in a ball of flames and my eyes glow a fiery blood red. My anger is at boiling point by now. All I see is red. Then I remember where I was. I'm surrounded by civilians, who are probably scared out of their wits. I slowly calm down as I get my head level again.

"Nymira?" I hear a gentle voice say from behind me. That sweet honey-like voice makes me melt inside. I turn around as my fire quenches out. Legolas stares at me, face full of concern. I instantly run to him and break down in tears hugging him with all my strength.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to let it get out of hand. I'm so sorry. Did I hurt anyone? Please tell me I didn't? I promised never to let myself get like that again. I'm so sorry." I ramble falling off at the end as hot tears streamed down my face. Legolas's hand brushes through my hair gently, calming me down. I take deep shaky breaths as my emotions settle.

"It's okay, you're okay. You didn't hurt anyone. It was a one-time thing. You have control, I know you do." Legolas says quietly to me, kissing my temple, forehead, and cheeks as he speaks.

"Get out of my way!" I hear Gríma yell as his footsteps fade. I look up at the surrounding people. They don't seem scared of me, rather they look like they want to hug me and tell me everything is okay. But clearly, Legolas had that covered.

"Hail, Théoden, King!" I hear Aragorn yell. Legolas turns around and smiles. Everyone begins to kneel to Thèoden.

"Hail, Thèoden, King!" I yell at the top of my lungs in joy as I also kneel to my friend. I look up to see Thèoden looking around alarmed. Then his voice rings out across the crowd.

"Where is Théodred? Where is my son?" His voice sounds broken, and scared. I look up and also don't see the King's son anywhere. I then look to Èowyn. Her eyes are dull as sadness takes them. We all rush to the chambers of the King's son. Thèoden crouches at Théodred's bedside and cries. I sink beside him. Théodred had been like a Brother to me for years, I had even helped to raise him. Tears begin streaming down my face again as I grieve along with the family of my fallen friend. Preparations are quickly made for a funeral. I felt numb all over and didn't speak much during the preparations. Èowyn had taken me to my old room to fit me into one of her dresses for the funeral. Once we were finished, we headed out to the others. I saw Théodred laying on a bier made of shields and spears. 'A true warrior' I thought to myself as another tear slipped out. I walked beside Thèoden as we head towards the graveyard of the fallen warriors of Rohan. The main road leading to the hall is lined with people. We slowly walk behind Théodred's body through the crowds. I stand next to Èowyn once we reach the tomb. She begins to sing a familiar tune, her voice cracking as tears cascade down her cheeks.