Chapter 32: To War!

Once I was ready, I took Legolas back to the armory to get ready. Nobody else was there so we were pretty quick. The sound of the door opening on the other side of the wall came to Legolas and I, so I peek around the corner and see Aragorn.

"It's Aragorn." I whisper. Legolas nods.

"I should go and apologise." He says and steps past me. I follow slowly. Aragorn puts on his armor and sheathes his dagger. Legolas quietly picks up Aragorn's sword and passes it to him. "We have trusted you this far. You have not led us astray. Forgive me. I was wrong to despair." Legolas says kindly. Aragorn smiles at his friend.

"Ú-moe edhored, Legolas." (There is nothing to forgive, Legolas.) He says placing a hand on his shoulder.

"If we had time, I'd get this adjusted." Gimli says coming out in some chain mail that is obviously way too big. It drops to the floor around his feet. I chuckle a bit as the others smile. "It's a little tight across the chest." Gimli says. Then the sound of a horn rings out.

"That is no Orc horn!" Legolas says.

"Haldir!" I shout knowing exactly what that horn is. We all run out and go to the wall. I lean over to see the familiar armor of the Elves.

"Send for the King. Open the gate!" A man yells. We run to the gate. Thèoden is already there.

"How is this possible?" Thèoden asks. Haldir. One of my favorite people walks out of a large army of Elves.

"I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell. An alliance once existed between Elves and men. Long ago we fought and died together." He says smiling as he sees me running down the stairs with the others behind me. "We come to honor that allegiance." He says turning to me and my friends.

"Mae govannen, Haldir!" (Welcome, Haldir!) Aragorn says. Hugging him. Surprisingly Haldir returns the hug. "You are most welcome." Aragorn says pulling away.

"We are proud to fight alongside men, once more." Haldir says smiling.

"HALDIR!" I yell and jump on him in a hug.

"Nymira, sut ier lle, my dear?" (Nymira, how are you, my dear?) Haldir asks laughing.

"I'm absolutely wonderful. Legolas and I are finally together. My best friend is here. And we now have an army of Elves at our back! I'm positively ecstatic!" I say quickly. Haldir laughs at my excitement.

"I thought I was your best friend?" Aragorn says behind me laughing.

"You are, but you are also my Brother. But Haldir is still my best friend. I've lived in Lothlórien for ages and he always visits when he gets the chance." I say smiling back to Aragorn.

"Did I hear you right? Did you finally get the Elf you wanted?" Haldir asks smiling at me and Legolas. I nod quickly and step back to hold Legolas's hand.

"Well, in that case, my congratulations to you both." Haldir says smiling. I smile back.

"Thank you." I say nodding. I see Legolas smile.

"We should make haste and prepare ourselves." Haldir says to Thèoden. The King nods.

"To your posts! Prepare for battle!" Thèoden yells. Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli and I run to the wall. We look over the open fields before us.

"They will be here soon." I say seeing the glow of a light emerging through the dark at a slow pace. We were at war with Isengard. Aragorn leaves and goes to quickly get everyone into position. Haldir looks to me from his place on the wall. We nod to each other. I knew that he would want me to be safe, the same as me for him. We would protect our kin and our friends even at the cost of our own lives. Gimli starts complaining next to Legolas.