Chapter 53: March On Mordor

The next day I wake up at the crack of dawn. I adorn my armor and set up my weapons. My two short swords on my back, Dae Urya (Shadow Blaze.) and Langoril (Glittering Sword.) hang, strapped at my left hip. I sling my quiver and bow over my shoulder and make my way to the stables. Legolas was already there. He had gotten up during the night since he doesn't sleep much, he wanted to go and train for the battle. I appreciated his commitment to his skills. I walk out of the doors of the Tower Hall to the courtyard. I breath in the fresh cool air. Today we started our march on Mordor. I was nervous since we didn't have many men. I continue walking down to the stables fixing my arm guards on the way. I walk in to the stables within a few minutes. I look up from fiddling with my arm guard when someone calls my name.

"Nymira! Come'er lass, need ya help with sorting out the wolves." Gimli yells to me from the stable the wolves were being held in.

"Yeah sure." I say walking over. I walk into the stable to see Legolas and some of the soldiers struggling to do the straps on the wolves. "Hey, hey, hey, back off! You're freaking them out!" I yell at the soldiers walking over. They move off along with Legolas.

"Sorry Lady Nymira. We we're just trying to help." One of them says. I roll my eyes.

"Look, they're stressed up enough as is. They know that we're going to war with Sauron and they are terrified that one of them or myself is going to be killed! Now get out of here, I'll do it myself since you lot are incapable!" I say angrily as I comfort the wolves. The soldiers run out terrified.

"You alright meleth nín?" (My love.) Legolas asks.

"Yeah, just help me with this, those idiots made the straps too tight." I say trying to undo one of the straps on Stonepelt. Legolas gently moves my hands away and effortlessly undoes the strap. Stonepelt heaves out a sigh of relief.

"There you go boy." Legolas says petting him. Stonepelt makes a happy, gruff noise in response. I turn to Rusty.

"Hey girl, I'm gonna need you and Frost to stay behind for this one. Frost isn't quite ready for a war like this, and she needs her mother the look after her until she is. I promise I'll bring our boys back." I say gently as I stroke my fingers through her thick red fur. She nuzzles me, her anxiety was clear. She was scared for her family. I understood how she felt. These wolves have been part of my life for years now. I had a duty to protect them with my life. Tears begin to well up in my eyes, so I quickly wipe them away.

"Hey, are you okay?" Legolas asks stepping behind me to give me a hug.

"Yeah, just nervous. I don't want to lose any of them, they're my family." I whisper turning to hug him, feeling over stressed and scared.

"Hey Nymira, Legolas. We need to leave soon." Aragorn's voice gently calls from over the stable railing.

"Are you alright Nymira?" Aragorn asks me. I nod in response, wiping the few stray tears from my eyes.

"The girls are staying here. Frost isn't ready for a war like this and Rusty needs to keep an eye on her." I say calmly.

"That makes sense." Aragorn says nodding his head.

"We'll be out in a bit, got to finish the wolves' armor and what their carrying." I say smiling at Aragorn.

"Okay, Legolas come with me. I need to talk to you, privately." He says then walks away.

"I'll see you soon." Legolas says kissing my cheek and following after Aragorn.

"Okay, you won't be needing to carry any packs and your armor is basically done already." The male wolves nod at me and begin to say their goodbyes to Frost and Rusty.