Chapter 21: To Edoras!

Once we get back to camp again, everyone is asleep. Legolas and I settle down next to each other and cuddle. Resting my head on his chest, I listen to his heartbeat. It's steady and calming. He begins to softly sing me an Elvish lullaby, his voice is gentle, calming, and sweet. I fall asleep after a while and dream peacefully about what our future might be like together. We wake up early the next morning. As soon as we've packed, we leave straight for Edoras. I occasionally stop riding for a little while to fly around to stretch my wings as the others stay glued to their saddles.

Frost had been keeping up well, running on her own. She was getting a little tired by the time we had gotten close to Edoras. I fly down and pick her up, carrying her as I flew only a few meters above the heads of my friends. She barks happily and paws at the air. I laugh watching her reaction to flying. After a little while, I put her back down on the ground and return to my spot on Shadowpaw. Legolas lazily wraps his arms around my waist as we reach a hill. Edoras stands before us.

"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. There dwells Théoden, King of Rohan, whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Théoden is now very strong." Gandalf says with worry. We start to ride towards Edoras again. "Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here." Gandalf warns. I nod and look towards the city. I hope that Gandalf can help Thèoden. The King had been a large part of my life during my 30's since I lived here for a good six years. Èowyn was like a Sister to me during the time I was there.

"Remember, I need to be called Shadow while we're here. Either that or Wolfrider. People around here don't know my real name. Only Thèoden and his family." I say making sure they all understand. They all nod in agreement. However, Legolas did seem a bit upset about not being able to use my name. As we reach the entrance to Edoras, a flag floats down and lands near Aragorn. We ride through the small city, receiving side glances from the townspeople. My hood was up and covered my face slightly. At this time, I was Shadow the Ranger, not Nymira.

"You'd find more cheer in a graveyard." Gimli says quietly.

I nod in agreement. Once we are at the entrance to the hall a few guards step forward and help us off the horses and wolves. Luckily, I had all my weapons strapped to me. A number of my knives were hidden in my clothes. Legolas had my quiver and bow slung over his shoulder while my sword from Galadriel was strapped to my waist.

We climb the stairs of the hall, towards the entrance. Two heavily armed guards step forward.

"Ah!" Gandalf says pleased. I guess he assumed they were going to let us inside. Or that they knew we were coming?

"I cannot allow you before Thèoden King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame. By order of Gríma Wormtongue." I cringe at the name of the putrid, and repulsive person. Gandalf nods in agreement. The others begin to give their weapons over. I hesitate, without my weapons, I feel defenseless. Legolas gives me a reassuring smile. I smile back. "Shadow the Ranger, we did not expect you to come here, let alone with such strange company. However, we still insist that you hand over your weapons...All of them." The guard looks me up and down, clearly shocked to see how many weapons I have clad to my body. I nod back slowly. A younger guard steps forward. He is anxious. I decide it may be fun to tease him a little.

"You better be careful with my stuff, okay? Especially this long sword. It was gifted to me by the Lady Galadriel, and if I find one teeny tiny mark on it, you'll regret it." I say sternly. The young guard nods quickly. I begin to give him my weapons. First my two short swords, then the large dagger at my belt. I check to see that they haven't noticed my hidden knives. Luckily, they didn't. Finally, after making sure my stuff was all together, I carefully give the young guard my gift from Galadriel. "Remember, if I find a scratch on it when I get it back...Well, let's just say you might want to sleep with one eye open tonight." The young man goes pale. I smirk and turn to the others. Legolas and Aragorn smile at my teasing, knowing full well of my capabilities. Gandalf shakes his head and Gimli just looks shocked.

Looking around Gandalf takes a step forward.

"Your staff?" The guard points at it.

"Eh? Oh, no, you wouldn't part an old man from his walking stick?" Gandalf plays the grandpa card. I smile at his trick. The guard nods. Gandalf looks at me and winks taking Legolas's arm, hamming up the 'old man' facade. We then enter the hall. I stick right beside Legolas the whole time. If anything goes wrong, I want to be able to protect him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone who is reading this so far. I also just wanted to say that if you find any grammatical errors in my writing please let me know so that I can deal with them. Wattpad has this weird tendency to take spaces from between words when I'm pasting the chapters over from my word document. Anyway, hope you enjoy the rest of the story. Much love, the Author.