Chapter 45: To Deep Dark Dungeons, And Unfriendly Faces

"Hey, we'll finish this later, okay?" Legolas says when we land. He gently brushes a chunk of hair behind my ear.

"Yeah. But you better make sure that we're alone." I say smiling. He smiles back at me and kisses me.

"Lady Nymira, there is someone here to see you. " one of the men says as he comes towards us.

"Go, I'll find Gimli." Legolas says to me quietly before kissing my forehead and sending me on my way. The man takes me to Thèoden's tent. I walk in to see Aragorn standing in the tent along with Thèoden. A hooded figure sits on a chair.

"I'll take my leave." Thèoden says leaving the tent.

"Who are you? Why are you here?" I ask defensively. The hooded figure approaches us and removes its hood.

"My Lord, Elrond." Aragorn says bowing.

"My apologies. I did not know it was you old friend." I say bowing.

"No need to apologise my dear Nymira. It's nice to see you again." Elrond says kindly squeezing my shoulder as I straighten up. "However, I have urgent business to attend to here." He says sternly. "I come on behalf of one whom I love." He continues.

"So, she didn't leave then?" I ask knowing exactly who he speaks of. Elrond shakes his head.

"Arwen is dying. She will not long survive the evil that now spreads from Mordor. The light of the Evenstar is failing. As Sauron's power grows, her strength wanes. Arwen's life is now tied to the fate of the Ring. The shadow is upon us, Aragorn. The end has come." Elrond says desperately.

"It will not be our end but His." Aragorn replies with courage.

"You ride to war but not to victory." Elrond says blankly. "Sauron's armies march on Minas Tirith, as you know, but in secret, He sends another force, which will attack from the river. A fleet of Corsair ships sails from the South. They'll be in the city in two days." He continues.

"Wait what? How long have you known this?" I ask irritated.

"I promise you Nymira, I came as soon as I heard the news." Elrond reassures me. "You're outnumbered, Aragorn, Nymira. You need more men." Elrond speaks the truth, we do.

"There are none." Aragorn says disheartened.

"There are those who... dwell in the mountain." Elrond says determinedly.

"You can't be serious? Those people are reckless! They have no honor!" I say even more irritated than before.

"Murderers! Traitors! You would call upon them to fight? They believe in nothing! They answer to no one." Aragorn confirms my thoughts.

"They will answer to the King of Gondor!" Elrond says as he removes a sword from his cloak. He offers the sword to Aragorn.

"Andúril...Flame of the West. Forged from the shards of Narsil." Elrond says smiling.

"Sauron will not have forgotten the Sword of Elendil." Aragorn says drawing the blade from its sheath. "The blade that was broken shall return to Minas Tirith." He says quietly.

"The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the ranger. Become who you were born to be. Take the Dimholt road." Elrond urges. Aragorn looks to him unsure. "Ónen i-Estel Edain." (I give hope to men.) Elrond says gently.

"Ú-chebin Estel anim." (I keep none for myself.) Aragorn replies.

"Do not worry Nymira. I have not forgotten about you." Elrond says turning to the table behind him. He turns back with a sword in his hands. He offers me the hilt. "I had this specially made for you. It was supposed to be a gift for your birthday but you were whisked away on this journey before I could make it." I draw the sword and admire the blade. "It's made from ebony and silver. It's stronger than steel and can cut through bone as if it were butter." He says watching me swing the blade around.

"Does it have a name?" I ask curiously as I gaze at the fine craftsmanship on the blade.

"Dae Urya. Or in common tongue, Shadow Blaze. I thought it was fitting going by your ability to control fire and smoke." Elrond says smiling as I sheath the weapon.

"Thank you. My dear friend." I say as I wrap Elrond in a hug. He hugs back.

"You must go, quickly now. You must not waste time." Elrond says as he ushers Aragorn and I out of the tent. The two of us go to our separate tents. Luckily when I reach mine Legolas isn't there. I grab my things and run out to get Shadowpaw and the other wolves ready. Once I had found them, I walk them over to where Aragorn was getting ready. As we both strap our weapons to our animals Èowyn comes over.

"Why are you doing this? The war lies to the East. You cannot leave on the eve of battle!" She begs the two of us.

"Shhh, keep your voice down." I say irritated.

"You cannot abandon the men." Èowyn says annoyed.

"Èowyn..." Aragorn starts.

"We need you here." Èowyn begs.

"Why have you come?" Aragorn sounded exhausted already.

"Do you not know?" Èowyn asks upset. I look at her in realization.

"It is but a shadow and a thought that you love. I cannot give you what you seek." Aragorn says holding her face in his hands. "I have wished you joy since first I saw you." He says gently. Èowyn leaves upset. we turn to the mountain face.

"This still gives me bad vibes." I say anxiously as we walk towards the crack in the cliff.

"Just where do you think you're off to?" Gimli says walking up to us.

"Not this time. This time you must stay, my friend." Aragorn says to his comrade.

"Sorry Gimli." I say smiling at him.

"Have you learned nothing of the stubbornness of Dwarves?" Legolas says stepping out from behind a tent.

"Really?" I say rolling my eyes in amusement.

"Might as well accept it. We're going with you two, laddie." Gimli says to Aragorn. Aragorn and I glance at each other and chuckle. We mount our rides. Legolas behind me on Shadowpaw, Gimli on Stonepelt, and Aragorn on Brego. The other wolves follow as we enter the crack in the cliff.

"What's happening?" A solider says.

"Where's he going?" Another asks.

"I don't understand." Someone else says.

"Lord Aragorn!" One yells after us. We disappear into the darkness.

"Why does he leave on the eve of battle?" I hear one last soldier say.

"He leaves because there is no hope." Gamling's voice reaches my ears.

"He leaves because he must." Thèoden's voice is faint as we go further in.

"Too few have come. We cannot defeat the armies of Mordor." Gamling's voice is almost silent.

"No, we cannot." Thèoden says. "Butwe will meet them in battle nonetheless."His voice fades out on the last word as we enter into the unwelcoming trail ofDimholt road.