Chapter 15: A Sign of Hope

We eventually came to a valley in the rocks. The ground was mushy and covered in fresh footprints. A shiny trinket catches my eye through the mud and grass. Sliding off Shadowpaw, I wander over to see what it is. As I get closer, I gasp. Picking up the trinket a glimmer of hope shines in my heart.

"Not idly do the leaves of Lórien fall." Aragorn says coming up to me and gazing at the small leaf brooch resting in my palm. I clasp my fingers around the small trinket and press it to my heart.

"Hope is still alive. We will find you; I promise." I whisper to myself not realizing the others could hear.

"They may yet be alive." Legolas says placing a hand on my shoulder and squeezing it gently. I look up at him and smile. He had been very kind to me all day. I have a strange feeling that he may have heard some of what I said the night before.

"Less than a day ahead of us. Come!" Aragorn says and jumps back on Fang. As we race along Gimli ends up falling out of Stonepelt's saddle causing all of us to burst out in laughter. I go and help him get back on.

"Come Gimli! Nymira! We are gaining on them!" Legolas says the hope is clear in his voice.

"I'm wasted on cross-country. We Dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances."

"Gimli, how can you be tired when you have been sitting on Stonepelt the whole time?" I say giggling slightly. Gimli just huffs, then makes a small chuckle. I reminisce in a memory from back when I was with Thorin's company and seeing the group of dwarves very quickly run across a short distance between the tree line and a large garden. I snap back to the present as we come over the rise of a hill and pause. Gazing over the open plain in front of us.

"Rohan. Home of the horse-lords." Aragorn says in awe. "There's something strange at work here. Some evil gives speed to these creatures, sets its will against us." He finishes in a low and concerned tone. Legolas jumps off Rusty and walks forwards.

"Legolas, what do your Elf eyes see?" Aragorn calls to him.

"The Uruks turn Northeast. They're taking the hobbits to Isengard!" He yells out concerned.

"Saruman." Aragorn says in disbelief.

"We must hurry!" I yell racingforwards on Shadowpaw. His nose following the smell of the wind.