Chapter 22: Drawing Out Poison

As we walk through the doors, I immediately see Saruman's little leech, crouched by Thèoden's side. Thèoden did not look at all like himself. He was weak, frail, and sickly.

"My lord. Gandalf the Grey is coming. He is a herald of woe." I hear the worm's voice hiss through his teeth.

"The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late, Thèoden King." Gandalf says, glaring at the thing by the King's side. I look around and see guards following us inside. Uneasiness overtakes me. I'm glad that I kept some of my daggers on me. Nervously I graze my hand against Legolas's. He looks at me out the corner of his eye. He sends me a half-smile and I calm down a bit.

"He is not welcome." The thing hisses to Thèoden again. I growl harshly and clench my fists. How dare that rat talk to the King, how dare he say that Gandalf is not welcome when he has been a friend to Rohan for years. 'The slimy little snake is gonna get a knife in his head before he leaves if I get to have a say in any of this.' I think to myself smirking a tiny bit.

"Why should I welcome you, Gandalf Stormcrow?" Thèoden asks, his voice is weak and croaky. 'Saruman is so gonna get a knife to his head as well!' I think gritting my teeth

"A just question my liege." The thing says slowly standing. "Ah, I see you brought a friend as well. Shadow the Ranger...Or should I say, Nymira, daughter of Ilúvatar?" The worm says bowing towards me slightly.

"Don't you dare say a word to me, you disgusting piece of filth!" I say coldly while a ball of flames ignites in my hand. Gríma steps back a couple of paces. I smirk in amusement; the stupid little worm is scared of me. Legolas's hand brushes my right arm, signaling for me to calm down a bit. I smile at him a little before extinguishing the fire in my palm.

"Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lathspell, I name him. Ill news is an ill guest." Gríma says stepping forward again. Still being wary of me.

"Be silent! Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm!" Gandalf says angrily and raises his staff.

"His staff! I told you to take the wizard's staff!" Gríma yells, stumbling back. We all start fighting, I pull out my hidden knives and throw them at the attacking guards pinning them to the floor and walls with great force and accuracy. I don't kill any of them, since a lot of them I know as friends.

"Théoden, Son of Théngel. Too long have you sat in the shadows." Gandalf says walking forwards. I see Háma, the guard from before stopping another guard from going closer to the King. Gandalf steps closer still to Thèoden. I see Gríma trying to get away. Flying up I peg a knife straight at his shoulder. He falls hard to the floor. Gimli notices and steps a heavy foot on his chest, helping to pin the worm to the floor. I go down and yank my dagger from the man's cloak, wiping it off in disgust as if it had some ghastly substance on it.

"I would stay still if I were you." Gimli warns looking at me as I glare menacingly at Saruman's puppet.

"Harken to me! I release you from the spell." Gandalf calls loudly. A sickly laugh escapes Thèoden's lips.

"You have no power here Gandalf the Grey." Gandalf steps closer throwing his grey cloak to the side. His White clothes gleaming with the greatness of his power, aiming his staff at the King's chest Gandalf continues forward. Thèoden jumps, startled and leans against the back of his chair. I go closer instinctively and stand beside Aragorn.

"I will draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound."

Thèoden begins to squirm as if in pain. He then lets out a strangled cry.

"Aah!"

Èowyn suddenly rushes forwards. I grab her arm along with Aragorn. She looks at me shocked.

"Nymira?" She whispers, I nod my head and smile. Èowyn then tries to go forward slightly but Aragorn holds tighter.

"Wait." He says gently. Suddenly the voice of Saruman himself leaves the lips of the King.

"If I go — Théoden dies." As the menacing words leave his lips, a cold chill runs down my spine at the threat.

"You did not kill me. You will not kill him." Gandalf says determined to make Saruman leave.

"Rohan is mine!" Saruman yells again.

"Begone!" Gandalf yells back thrusting his staff forward as Thèoden leaps up but is flung back into his throne. Èowyn gets out of Aragorn's grasp and runs to the King. I follow quickly behind her. We both crouch before Thèoden. He slowly changes back to himself. The King who I know and love dearly, like a Brother.

"I know your faces. Nymira, Èowyn — Èowyn." He whispers gazing at us and gently stroking our cheeks.

"Thèoden, it's nice to have you back." I say tears rolling down my cheeks. I hold his hand and kiss it gently. Thèoden looks up and around him as if he had been in a dream.

"Gandalf?" He says gladly, as Èowyn and I help him to his feet.

"Breathe the free air again, my friend." Gandalf says kindly.

"Dark have been my dreams of late." Thèoden says sadly, still looking around the old hall.

"Your fingers would remember their old strength better — if they grasped your sword." Gandalf said kindly. Háma steps forward with Thèoden's sword. At first, he gently places his hand on the hilt, then as if it were as light as a feather, Thèoden draws his sword. He gazes at it for a moment as if reminiscing in memory. Then he turns his gaze to the cowering worm on the ground.