Chapter 29: ARAGORN!

"ARAGORN!!!" I scream collapsing onto my knees on the edge of the cliff. The battle begins to die down as I stare over the giant canyon, with raging waters at its base. My arm is stretched over the edge of the rock, with my hand desperately grasping onto thin air as tears fill my eyes and spill onto my blood-stained cheeks. Aragorn is gone. My best friend is gone. My Brother...Is gone. My fire immediately extinguishes itself as I begin to sob uncontrollably. The battle was over. It had been won. But at the cost of the life of my closest companion.

"Aragorn? Aragorn?!" I hear Legolas and Gimli yelling. Tears stream down my cheeks as I stay hunched over the cliff.

"Nymira? Where's Aragorn?" Legolas asks quietly crouching next to my balled-up body.

I give him no answer, grieving over my lost friend. A burst of choked laughter comes from behind me.

"Tell me what happened and I will ease your passing!" I hear Gimli demand. The sound of a dying Orcs voice reaches my ears.

"He's..." A bloody cough comes out "Dead!" The creature laughs again. "He took a little tumble off the cliff." the creature laughs again. Legolas leaves my side.

"You lie!" Legolas says angrily. I haven't heard him like this for a while. I hear a quiet thump as the Orcs dead body makes contact with the ground again. Legolas comes back moments later holding something. I'm not sure what.

"It didn't lie..." I whisper.

"What do you mean?" Legolas says kneeling beside me and pulling me into a hug.

"It didn't lie...Aragorn did fall off the cliff. I saw it happen. I was just there, about to grab him. But I wasn't fast enough. He was pulled over the side by a warg. He was trapped to its harness." I sob into Legolas's chest. After a while, I hear footsteps.

"Get the wounded on horses. The wolves of Isengard will return." Thèoden's voice says in a commanding tone. "Leave the dead." He adds solemnly and walks away. Legolas pulls me up. He starts to walk away from the edge pulling me along with him. I pull out of his grasp on my wrist.

"Sorry, was I holding too tightly?" He asks spinning around and looking at me in worry.

"No, I'm going to go look for him...I can still feel his heartbeat in my chest. I don't believe he is dead. Boe lim." (I must hurry.) I say as Shadowpaw trots over, covered in Orc blood. I pet my friend carefully as not to get covered in it myself.

"Go with the others and get cleaned up." I say pushing him towards the rider's direction. "I have something I need to do." I say quietly going back to the edge of the cliff.

"Nymira, no! Please don't go in after him!" Legolas says grabbing my wrist again. "I have already lost one friend, and I've lost you once already too. I don't want to go through that again." He says pulling me against his chest. He wraps his arms around my waist. "Baw leave nín, meleth nín." (Do not leave me, my love.) He whispers, his voice sounds and feels broken, as though my leaving him, or even the thought of it physically hurts him.

"Aragorn is still alive. I need to find him; he is the closest thing I have to a real family in Arda. Please let me go." I say turning in Legolas's arms. He looks at me with a few tears in his eyes.

"Amin mela lle." (I love you.) He says quietly.

"Amin mela lle too." (I love you too.) I whisper back. I pull him into a long and passionate kiss; however, we break the kiss in need of air.

"Don't ever leave without kissing me like that." He says nuzzling my nose, I chuckle at his statement.

"I promise." I say kissing him one last time.

"Be careful meleth nín." (My love.) Legolas says quietly. I nod and back away slowly. My wings spread out and flutter a little.

"Be seeing you, Legolas." I say quietly.

"Be seeing you, meleth nín." (My love.) He says quietly. I nod then take one last step back. I begin to plummet towards the raging river below. Turning over quickly I face the water. I flap my wings a couple of times to gain some height. Slowly I follow it, scanning both banks to try and find Aragorn. It took me three hours. But I eventually found him. He had been washed up on the bank. I fly down to the shore and land beside him.

"Aragorn?" I say tapping his face lightly. He stirs a little. Thank god he's not unconscious. I turn as I hear a faint clicking sound on the stones. I smile as I realize it's an old friend. Brego had turned up out of nowhere. "Boy, am I glad to see you. Come. Help me with him." I say gently. Brego whinnied in happiness at seeing me. He quickly responds to my request and carefully lays down next to me. I begin to drag Aragorn onto him. Brego helps a bit by turning his head and pushing Aragorn onto him. Luckily Aragorn is awake enough to help himself a little too. I climbed onto Brego behind him and hooked my arms under his waist to hold Brego's mane. "To Helm's Deep Brego. Quickly." I say with urgency. Brego complies and immediately gets up and starts to bolt in the direction of the Helm. After a few hours, Aragorn is awake enough to take over the leading of Brego. We eventually come to a small hill and ride up to the top of it. I gasp at the sight that lays before me. Rows on rows on rows of Orcs march in our direction. "Aragorn, we need to get to Helm's Deep. We need to warn the King! Now!" I say desperately trying to urge Brego forwards. Aragorn agrees and makes Brego turn. We speed off in a safe direction, towards Helm's Deep again. We travel for a while in silence until we come to a ridge. We see Helm's Deep ahead.

"Mae carnen, Brego, Mellon nín." (Well done, Brego, my friend.) Aragorn says patting the horse. Brego snorts in approval. We quickly ride towards the Helm. We come to the ramp, up to the gate.

"Open the gate! We have word of something important! The King must know! Let us in!" I yell to the guards above us.

"Open the gate!" I hear someone yell.