Chapter 9: Back On The Move

I wake up at the crack of dawn, still snuggled up on top of Legolas. I move around a little and nuzzle into his neck.

"Stop moving Mellon nín. I was comfortable." (My friend.) Legolas Mumbles while moving around a bit. I know he didn't sleep; he barely ever does. But why did he have to call me a friend? Why did he have to say, 'Mellon', the one word that would crush all my hopes and dreams of being with him? Grumpily I change position and hover over him.

"I'm gonna get breakfast ready, pack up your stuff, and get the others up." I move off him quickly and Gimli grunts next to us. Apparently, he decided to sleep on MY bedding last night. I walk over to the boats and rummage through my things to find some bread and cheese and a suitable knife to cut it up with. I settled down in the center of the camp and lit a small fire. Placing one of Sam's pans on the small but strong flame, I plop a lump of butter in the pan and two slices of a bread loaf I brought along with me. While the underside toasts, I slice some cheese then put it on top. I was making one of my favorite foods from the other world. Cheese on toast!

I hear rustling around me as the others began to wake up. I heard a couple of small sniffs, then the padding of small feet. Suddenly Pippin is right next to me looking at the food in the pan. Merry then pops up out of nowhere and starts begging me for some food. I chuckle lightly and tell him to go and get something to put it on. He comes back a few moments later with a few empty leaves from the Lembas bread packets. I smile and dish out the food as more of them gather around.

"This is great!" Pippin says as he stuffs his mouth full of the toasted bread and cheese. Mumbles of agreement follow the little hobbits' statement. Once we were finished, we pack our stuff and headed out again. We travel down the river for another few hours before coming to a canyon. I notice Aragorn tap Frodo's shoulder and decide to listen in on their conversation.

"Frodo, the Argonath! Long have I desired to look upon the Kings of old. My kin."

We all gaze up in awe at the mighty sculptures of the Argonath. I notice that we are sailing towards a great waterfall and turn my boat towards the shore. The others follow my lead and we disembark our modes of transport. I notice both Boromir and Frodo look troubled, but I forget about it when I feel someone take my hand.

"Nymira, are you alright? You haven't spoken to me since this morning." Legolas's voice chimes next to me. I remember the word that left his mouth before 'Mellon'.

"I'm fine Legolas, we should talk later." I say sweetly, shaking the thoughts of earlier from my mind. A chunk of my Auburn hair falls into my face due to the action. I go to push it back but Legolas stops me, and moves the loose hair behind my ear, gently grazing my cheekbone with his thumb.

"Thanks." I say quietly as a light blush flushes my cheeks. The Elf smiles at me and falls in step with me as I move closer to Aragorn.

"We cross the river at nightfall. Hide the boats and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the north." The ranger speaks in a commanding yet calm tone. Gimli then decides to pipe up.

"Oh, yes? It's just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil? An impassable labyrinth of razor-sharp rocks! After that, it gets even better! Festering, stinking marshlands as far as the eye can see!" I look around to see Pippin looking alarmed. I walk over to him to comfort him.

"Don't worry Pip. Just ignore him, he gets grumpy when he's tired." I say reassuringly. Pippin smiles at me as we tune back into what was being said.

"That is our road. I suggest you take some rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf." I laugh as Aragorn confirms my reassurances to Pippin.

"Recover my...?! Phrrr..." I laugh as Gimli goes off in a huff. Legolas speaks up from beside me.

"We should leave now."

"No, Orcs patrol the eastern shore. We must wait for cover of darkness." Aragorn replies calmly.

"It is not the eastern shore that worries me. A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind. Something draws near... I can feel it." Legolas says eerily

"No Dwarf need recover strength! Pay no heed to that, young Hobbit." Gimli says walking past Pippin and me. I shake my head and chuckle; I begin to grab my things from the boat to strap onto the wolves again. Legolas offers to help me and I gladly accept. Once we were finished, we hid the boats and sat down.