Chapter 27: Finally, a Break

The group comes to a sudden stop and the Rohirrim begin to dismount their horses. Thèoden thought we should have a rest since we had been walking for most of the day. So, we all begin to mill around finding spots to set up our bedrolls. I spot Èowyn walking around carrying a pot. I'm sat next to Aragorn with no idea as to where Legolas is. Probably helping someone set up their bed or something. Èowyn begins to walk in our direction with her steaming pot.

"Gimli?" She offers it to the Dwarf as he walks past. Gimli sniffs and then replies.

"No, I couldn't. I really couldn't." He says walking off, probably to look for the Elf. Èowyn walks towards me and Aragorn.

"I made some stew. It isn't much, but it's hot." She offers, I smile and playfully make grabby hands like a child. "You may be 97, but you act like a five-year-old." Èowyn says laughing. Aragorn chuckles.

"And to think you used to Mother me when I was a child." He says playfully poking my side. I pout at him.

"Stop it!" I say childishly, then return to making grabby hands at Èowyn. She laughs and accepts my stupidity.

"Thank you." Aragorn replies as Èowyn passes us both a bowl. The two of us take in a mouthful of some squishy fish? I don't know what it was but it didn't taste good. Aragorn and I send each other a side glance knowing what the other is thinking. "Mmm. It's good." Aragorn says trying to brighten the girl's spirits. She had been looking glumly at us believing we hated it...Which we did but we wouldn't tell her that.

"Really?" Èowyn asks hopefully

"Mmm." Aragorn hums in response.

"Yeah...it's good. I'm glad it's hot." I say smiling. Èowyn smiles and begins to walk away. Aragorn quickly begins to pour the 'Stew' onto the ground. I nudge him as Èowyn turns around again. He hisses in pain as the burning liquid slops onto his hand.

"My Uncle told me a strange thing. He said that you rode to war with Théngel, my grandfather. But he must be mistaken." Èowyn asks Aragorn.

"King Théoden has a good memory. He was only a small child at the time." Aragorn replies.

"And you were only young as well. The battle was pretty intense though. But you fought well." I say smiling at my friend. Aragorn chuckles.

"How would you know? You weren't there." He says still slightly laughing.

"Remember the brunette that stopped that spear going into your face?" I say smiling

"That was you?!" Aragorn says shocked. I nod smiling.

"Yep. Hey, Èowyn ask him how old he really is." I say smirking mischievously.

"If you fought with my grandfather." Èowyn says slowly. "Then you must be at least sixty. Seventy? But you cannot be eighty!" Èowyn says as Aragorn shakes his head at her guesses.

"Eighty-seven." Aragorn says calmly.

"You are one of the Dúnedain. A descendant of Númenor, blessed with long life. It was said that your race had passed into legend." Èowyn says in astonishment.

"There are few of us left. The Northern Kingdom was destroyed long ago." Aragorn says smiling a little.

"You should go look after the people Èowyn." I say smiling.

"I'm sorry. Please eat!" She says walking away. Aragorn and I immediately run to the nearby river. I end up being sick. I quickly use the freshwater to wash out my mouth. I hear someone run up behind Aragorn and me.