Ch. 40: Best Mistake

Ashley's P.O.V

The time I had dreaded to come, came too soon as the bell signaling for lunch rang, causing all the students to run out of class. For the first time in my life, I took my time, packing my things slowly, and walked towards the door even slower. Lunch had came, sooner than I would have wanted.

Zayn waited for me out in the hallway, watching me, without saying a word. He had tried all period in Theatre to get me to smile, but this time he couldn't. The pain I was feeling was excruciating, to the point where I'd reach to horrible conclusions that would only torture myself, or I'd regret a lot of things. But the one thing that hurt the most out of everything, is that despite all that's happened, I still love Diego with all my heart, like day one. As much as I wanted to hate him, I couldn't. Nor will I ever.

I looked up at Zayn, who gave me a weak smile, holding out his hand to me. I accepted it, and entwined my fingers with his, clinging myself to him as life depended on it.

"I'm here love." Zayn cooed.

"I know. I just don't think I can face anyone right now Zaynie."

"You don't have to face them if you don't want to Ash. You don't even have to have lunch with them if you don't want to. We can go somewhere else."

Unsure of what to do, we continued walking towards the cafeteria area to grab some lunch, until two greaser boys I knew too well spotted me and began walking towards me.

"Vas Happenin'!" Johnny hollered.

"Ashley!!!!" Danny grinned, as he hugged me to death.

"Hi boys."

"We know what happened. Well sorta. We know you and Diego are like in verge of breaking up." Johnny said as his eyes saddened.

"Yea...and Ash, we are so sorry. Of all people you shouldn't be going through this. I hate to see both my best friends hurt like this." Danny added.

"Just never doubt Diego loved you. Because he did. He always did. I just think that he hasn't had his head in the right place, you know?" Johnny said, as he too gave me a bear hug. "Just, let him explain."

"Look babe, we're not here to tell you what or what not to do with your relationship. You and Diego together have to make a decision. Both of you guys are old enough to know what to do. Just, as cliche as it sounds, listen to your heart. Clarify, mend, and confront the situation. Hiding won't help. My pal is suffering too. But I know you love him as much as he loves you. You two are meant to be, just going through a rough patch right now."

"Awwww. Thank you both. You guys are the best. I love you both." I said, as a few tears escaped my eyes.

"We will always be here for you Ash. We're a family. Remember that." Johnny smiled.

"Now, add a smile to that beautiful face of yours." Danny grinned.

"Group hug!!" Zayn yelled, as all four of us squeezed in for a hug, making me smile. Like actually smile.

What would I do without my boys?

"I love you guys!" I cried.

"AWW! Babe! Don't cry!" Zayn laughed, as he embraced me in his arms.

Suddenly the voice I knew too well made my body go weak, as I looked into his sad eyes. His eyes, that once glowed were now shattered and distraught.

"Ashley. Please baby. We need to talk. Please." Diego begged.

We all stayed quiet unknowing of what to do. Shit. I didn't even know what to do. The sight of him broke me. Just hearing him made me want to break down and disappear, the pain unbearable, but as I stared at Diego's eyes, I knew then, he too was feeling the same.