Ch. 9: Marked

Ashley's P.O.V

I stood still, in shock, as I had just witnessed Ryan and Diego fighting over me. Me, of all people. To be honest if it weren't for Danny's strong grip on me right now I would have probably fainted from how worried and overwhelmed I was over seeing Diego getting hurt. A tear fell down my cheek as I replayed Ryan punching Diego. Diego was getting hurt because of me.

"Shh, it's ok Ashley. Don't cry, it's all over now." Danny cooed.

"No it's not." I sniffed. 

"Yes it is, just relax."

"Danny, I can't! How can I relax after witnessing that? Do me a favor and keep Diego away from me, look at what I'm causing, it's all my fault!" I cried.

"Baby, it's not your fault, just how do I explain?" He paused to think. "Everyone knows Socs and Greasers don't get along and everyone knows that Ryan gets whatever he wants no matter what and unfortunatly he wants you, and Diego isn't going to allow that."

I was speechless. I couldn't say anything, although I tried, but nothing came out. It's as if my lungs had caved in on me. 

"And I can't ask Diego to stay away from you, you're going to have to ask him yourself." Danny frowns. 

"But-but, why does Ryan want me? Why does he harm Diego for wanting me, it's not like he likes me!  I'm nothing special, really I'm not." I finally let out in confusion.

Danny just chuckled and was about to answer when one of the girls interupted.

"Ashley! Are you ok?" Toni gasps, pulling me into a hug. 

"Yea? We saw how that asshole pulled you off Diego so violently and out of nowhere! What the hell, he has no chill! Are you bruised? Are you sure you're ok?" Marilyn said.

I had forgotten about that. The way he pulled me away from Diego. All I thought about was the fight they had had. I turned to look at Diego, who was talking with Johnny and Zayn, whilst gripping on to his ribs, wincing in pain.

"Ashley!" Donna yelled, bringing me back to reality.

"Yea, I'm fine. It was nothing. Is Diego ok?" I said. "He's the one that was hit."

"I'm sure he's fine. He's been in worse ones." Danny grins. "Diego's one of the best fighters we've got around this town. No one takes him down without a good damn fight I tell ya."

All of a sudden I felt someones arms wrap around my waist, pulling me into a tight hug.

"Are you ok?" Diego whispers, as his head lays in the crook of my neck. 

"I'm fine. How 'bout you? I was worried sick Diego." I sigh.

"I'm fine, no need to worry about me, although a kiss would make it feel better." He smirks.

I roll my eyes and looked down, lost in thought. I saw Diego give the gang eye signals, signaling to leave us alone for a while and they quickly obeyed and left. It was quiet and all I could hear was the sound of the waves crashing against one another.

"Ashley, look at me." He whispers. 

I continued looking down at the sand, tears beginning to form in my eyes. I felt his hands cup my face gently and turning them to face him.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asks, worry clearly written all over his face. 

"Diego, you have to stay away from me. All I've caused is harm and trouble." I said, tears escaping my eyes.

The fact that I had to push Diego away from me hurt. I didn't want that to happen. I wanted him to be in my life somehow, but I don't think I can stand seeing Diego throwing another punch for my sake. I just can't.