Chapter 28

*Emily’s POV*

Eight minutes. That’s how much time had passed since Jackson had left, along with my ‘grandfather’. I had assumed at first that my ‘grandmother’ would follow after them, but she stayed back in the living room, sitting on the couch opposite of me.

She kept staring at me, her mouth opening every now and then as if she might speak but in the end she would always close it back shut, seeming unable to conjure up the right words. “Hi” she finally decided on saying.

“Hi” I replied back with a small smile. An awkward silence filled the room again, and I found myself sitting there staring at the door where Jackson had disappeared behind, wishing that he’d hurry up already.

You should at least try and talk to her, my consciousness scolded me. I bit my lip, glancing back over towards my grandmother trying to figure out what to say. I’d already said ‘hi’ like Jackson had suggested and now I found myself drawing up a blank. “Sooo…” I drawled out the word on purpose, just to make a noise to fill up the silence. “You’re my grandmother?” wow. Just brilliant Emily. Brilliant.

“Yes, I am” she replied back, her tone soft. “You were so little the last time I saw you.”

“How old was I?” I asked, my curiosity getting the better of me.

“Six” and now I was fifteen.

“What happened?” I blurted out the question I had been wondering for a while now, and an avalanche of more questions cam tumbling after it “Why haven’t I seen you guys since then? Why is it that I have a brother- no two brothers that I can’t remember? Why didn’t my parents tell me about-about” I motioned my hands around “all of this- this world and werewolves and witches? Why-”

“Emily, sweetheart, slow down please” Emilia came to sit besides me, silencing my words that, until now I hadn’t realized, had left me red faced and out of breath.

“Sorry” I offered up.

“No, its okay. You deserve some answers” Emilia replied with a small shake of her head. “Its just, I don’t think me and your grandfather are the people who should be giving them to you” I could already tell where she was going to go with this and a part of me didn’t want to hear it but I listened anyway “I think you should go call your parents”

“I don’t want to talk to them” my voice was sharp as I spoke.

“Well, when you do. The phones in the kitchen, next to the chicken” did she say chicken?

“Okay..” I replied, a bit upset with her as well now.

“I’m going to go fix up one of the guest bedrooms for you then..” she decided, no doubt sensing my anger. She disappeared upstairs without another words towards me.

I waited, counting away the minutes in my head again. I’d gotten to sixteen when Jackson finally reappeared from the room. “That was more than ten minutes” I muttered a bit lividly to him.

“Yeah, I know. I’m sorry” Jackson apologized, staring at me guiltily.

“Its fine..” I muttered back, shrugging my shoulders.

“Are you okay?” Jackson sat down besides me, his eyebrows scrunching up in a way that told me he was worried.

My lips parted, in preparation to speak, but I failed to think of what to say. “No” I decided on telling him “I’m angry, and frustrated and most of all confused” I shook my head angrily as I spoke “ and I-I …. I’m just tired of these feelings already”

I wasn’t as surprised this time when Jackson gathered me up into hug. “Your moms never going to believe we’re not soul-mates if you keep this up” I joked.

“…Emily” Jackson sounded serious when he spoke, and I could tell I wasn’t going to like this. He let go off me, scooting back a few inches so that he could stare me straight in the face when he spoke.

“What?” I asked, my eyes narrowing a bit suspiciously towards him.

“There’s something that I really should tell you” Jackson started out a bit nervously “Please don’t get mad at me though, for not telling you sooner. Its just I thought that telling you right now when you had all of this going on would just upset you even more so I was planning on telling you once everything settled down- but, I can’t. Keeping it a secret will just make you more upset than I want you to be in the long run a-”

“Jackson, spit it out” I ordered him. I wasn’t exactly pleased that he’d been keeping something from me, but I was glad he was admitting the truth to me now at least. Better sooner than later.

“Soul-mates are real” Jackson breathed out the words, his gaze locked on my face as he carefully examined my reaction “and you’re mine”

He was joking. I thought, searching his face for any hints but after a moment I concluded he was being serious. About everything. “Wh-h-ergh” I didn’t know what to say, what I should say. A guy I’d meet less than twenty four hours ago was telling me we were soul mates, and I was pretty sure that he wasn’t lying about it. “I don’t know how to react….” I blurted out.

“Your not mad at me?” Jackson seemed relived when I shook my head no. How could I be? I mean, I understood his reasoning behind not telling me this right from the beginning.

“Does everyone else already know?” I asked him, thinking back to his mom.

“Grady and Porter figured it out from the way I was acting” Jackson admitted, then with an eye roll added “Then, Grady, called my mother and I just told Andrew although I think he and Emilia already guessed”

“Am I suppose to act all lovey dovey with you now?” I asked a bit nervously.

“Lovey dovey?” Jackson questioned aloud to himself, “Oh!” realization flashed through his eyes “N-no, don’t worry” he stumbled out, his cheeks turning pink “just- we’ll just take it slow. No rush at all”

“oh, okay” I sighed out, somewhat relieved. Despite Jackson’s vow, I had a bad feeling. I didn’t want a soul-mate, I wanted a regular, plain old friend, and I had a feeling this wish of mine would lead to inevitable trouble.