Chapter 2

The sound of sirens pierced through my ears as I watched two paramedics lift James up and place him on a gurney. I shivered as I saw how much blood he was covered in. Calm down Emily, I urged myself taking in a shaky breath.

I sat down on the couch, resting my head in my shaky hands. “You okay?” I jumped up from surprise.

“Oh, its you” I half sighed as I looked up to see my dad hovering above me. He sat down next to me, placing a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

“He’ll be ok, you’ll see” he said, sounding more like he was trying to reassure himself than me.

“I hope so..” I said in a tiny voice. My heart ached at the thought of losing my big brother. “I think I’m going to go to bed” I said, dad nodded. I made my way up to my room, closing and locking the door behind me before I slid underneath the covers.

I closed my eyes and listened to the faint drum of my heartbeat, letting the sound slowly lull me into the world of dreams.

“Emily?” someone said knocking on my door, pulling me out of my half-sleep.

“Yeah?” I asked, peaking my head out from underneath my sheets.

“Its Mel, can I come in?” they asked.

“Give me a sec” I told her as I slid out of my bed and made my way towards the door to unlock it.

“Do you mind if I sleep with you today?” she asked quietly as I opened the door. Wasn’t I suppose to be the one asking her that, I was the little sister here. Despite this thought I nodded at her, understaning why she didn’t want to sleep alone tonight.

“You can have the bed” I told her, I grabbed a pillow and a blanket and walked over to the window seat.

“Are you sure?” she asked.

“Yeah” I said, giving her a faint smile. The window seat was wide enough for me to stretch out on it comfortably, I placed the pillow underneath my head and closed my eyes.

“Emily” Mel whispered breaking the unsettling silence that had crept its way into my room, I opened one of my eyes.

“Yeah?” I whispered back.

“Do you think James is gonna be ok?” she asked me.

“Yeah” I said, but there was doubt in my voice.

“Night” she finally said after a few seconds of silence.

“Night” I replied, I laid my head back down on the pillow.

I stood there staring at Mel’s sleeping figure for a few moments, my eyes flickered to the digital clock on the night stand, it read 8:01. My stomach growled greedily as I remembered that I hadn’t eaten anything since lunch. Wow, I’m the only person in the world capable of being hungry right after her brother showed up looking like he just came from a horror movie. My stomach growled again and I silently got up and left the room.

I quietly made my way down the stairs and into the kitchen, I randomly pulled out a container of strawberries from the fridge and started to eat them. I’d eaten about half of the strawberries when an ear piercing howl sliced through the night. My body tensed and my eyes darted towards the window. “Probably just a dog” I told myself, but the only problem with that explanation was that no one in the neighborhood owned a dog. My hunger disappeared and I quickly put away the strawberries and darted back up into my room.

“Emily?” Mel asked, the sound of the door slamming waking her up.

“Sorry, just went down to eat something” I quickly explained, she mumbled and ok and went back to sleep. I walked over to the window seat and laid down, pulling the covers over me. Just go to sleep, everything will be ok in them morning, with that final thought I fell asleep.