Chapter 29

*Nicky’s POV*

“NICOLE!” my head snapped downwards, towards the direction of the voice. Papa stood at the bottom of the tree, his lips pressed into their usual frown and brows scrunched up together in anger. “GET DOWN HERE!”

“Coming” I let out a sigh, casting one more fleeting glance towards the small wood cabin below, before descending my way down the tree.

I jumped and swung my way down in a manor resembling that of a monkey’s, if not with a bit more grace. I did fancy little tricks, anything to delay my inevitable meeting with my father. But soon enough, I ran out of branches, and there was nothing left below my feet but grass. Letting out another sigh, I dropped down completely, landing on the ground with a soft thud. “I’ve been calling for you for the past half hour!” Papa fumed lividly at me, throwing his hands up in the air for emphasis.

“I’m sorry” I offered up, staring down towards my feet.

“Nicole, you need to get your head out from those clouds” Papa sighed out angrily “your to old to spend all your time hiding up in trees and daydreaming”

“I’m sorry” I repeated once again, my lips pursed into a thin line of their own.

“What am I going to do with you?” Papa sighed again, turning has back towards me as he began to walk away. “Come, everyone is getting ready to leave” I said nothing, and just silently followed after him.

We were coming back from our winter home to our summer home, a venture me and my clan made every year when spring came. I hated the trips to be honest, everyone would get grouchy and mean and complain the entire way home about how there where no more trees left. “Staring at the house again?” Alan spoke, slowly coming up besides me. I slowed down for the old elf, waiting until he was next to me until I continued walking.

“Yeah” I answered back.

“You stare at it every time we take this venture. I’m quite curious, what is it about the house that fascinates you so much?” Alan was the oldest, wisest, and by far the smartest member in the clan. And I knew that he wasn’t asking me this because he wanted to know the answer, he was asking because he wanted to see if I knew. Unfortunately for me, I didn’t.

“I don’t know” I replied back to him, my lips pulling down into a frown.

“Perhaps a closer inspection of the house will give you the answer” Alan replied. He had a gleam in his eyes, the kind you have when your friend is about to find out a secret you already know and you can’t help but be excited.

“Alan, I get the feeling you know to much for your own good” I couldn’t help but smile as I told this to him.

“That’s because I do” He replied cheekily, with a wrinkled grin to match. I let out a small laugh this time.

“Not to be rude, but I don’t think your idea would give me any answers”

“Why do you think this?” Alan questioned.

“We’re not allowed to go into Mossbrooke, remember?” I reminded him of the ‘no Mossbrooke’ rule my tyrant of a father had placed years back.

“Ah, that is true” Alan tsked, tapping his chin thoughtfully. “It couldn’t hurt though. Just one little trip there and back”

“Alan, I know what your doing” I scowled at him. You’d think Alan being the age he was, he’d be one to follow rules like this, but he was the exact opposite, and on more than one occasion did he manage to talk me into following after his example.

“I’ll tell your father that I need you to find a special herb for me” Alan was already beginning to spin out his plan “I’ll tell him it is near the borders of Mossbrooke, that way if he learns that you crossed over you can just tell him you were so busy searching for the plant you did not realize you crossed ov-”

“Alan, no” I was shaking me head vigorously. It was a new year, and I’d promised myself not to get into any more trouble with Papa.

“Say what you will, but I can tell you really want to do this”

“Yeah, I do” I admitted honestly to him “But, as much as I may want to do this I don’t want to get in trouble with Papa”

“Nicole, I am going to tell you something very important” Alan said, turning very serious “Your father is an idiot”

“Alan!” I found myself scolding a man decades older than me.

“It is true” Alan defended himself “Worse than that, he is an idiot with quite a bit of power.”

“Idiot or not, Alan, I’m not going to go against him” I huffed out.

“Very well then” Alan sighed out “But I actually am in need of some herbs”

“I’ll get you the herbs then, but I wont cross over into Mossbrooke” I informed him.

“Very well then” Alan spoke “I’ll give you the list of plants I’m in need of tomorrow morning then”

“Okay then” I said, pleased we were on the same page. I was sick and tired already of always being scolded by my father, and I didn’t need Alan encouraging me to do things that would get me into trouble.

This mindset lasted for a good three minutes, before I finally cracked “Do you think this plan of yours will actually work?” I asked Alan, who grinned and nodded his head yes. 

My mind knew this was a very bad idea, but another part of me, a larger part of me, encourage the adventure.