ii.

chapter two.

"We're taking the twelve original rings. Now, four of them sit on the hands of the Guerrera brothers. One on Oliver, one on Francesca, three with the home security detail, and the rest scattered amongst her lackeys. Now, each ring is distinguishable by its setting - gauche, like those that wear them." He explained while moving closer to Klaus.

"If they believe they can get their hands on the stake, they will come for me when I am weak. Each ring you retrieve will strengthen me, but I will still at a disadvantage." Klaus stated.

"Ergo, any hope of our success depends entirely upon our working together." He moved to stand in the middle of the table, Hayley stood at the other end of Klaus. "The two of you can no longer afford to retreat to separate corners." He told the two of them.

Hayley looked at Klaus, Klaus let out a sigh before standing up and looking at her. "This is our fight. Are you ready for battle, Hayley?"

"Just promise me that Francesca doesn't come out of this alive." She told him and Matthias could hear the anger in her voice.

"Her head will be delivered to you on a silver platter..." He gave her a small smirk, "Little wolf."

Elijah looked between the two before speaking, "I'll deal with the last piece of the puzzle."

Matthias looked to Hayley, "Sorry for almost killing you but you had it coming for attacking me."

Hayley rolled her eyes, "I have to admit that the first time I met you was a lot better than this." She told him and Matthias frowned softly trying to remember. "We met once back in Mystic Falls, I introduced you to Rhea, remember?"

"And what might your name be?" Matthias asked the unfamiliar girl. "I don't think we've met."

She looked at him bored, though she couldn't deny that he was attractive. "And what have you done to earn my name?"

Matthias chuckled, "Well I am here keeping you company as it seems that Tyler is occupied."

"You know about Tyler and I." The girl noted. "Why am I not surprised?"

"The boy makes it obvious." Matthias laughed. "Hiding you from Caroline at every corner."

"Hayley." She told him. "My name is Hayley."

"Matthias, though I'm sure you already knew that." Matthias told her with a smirk as he kissed the back of her hand.

"Introductions are being made without me, I see." A voice spoke up and Matthias looked to the new voice. "Rude."

Hayley laughed and smiled at the girl, "Matthias this is my best friend Rhea Carlisle."

Matthias looked at her before a smirk graced his features, "You're a hybrid, I can feel the magic in you."

Rhea smiled and nodded her head, "I am but I'm not your average hybrid. I'm part witch and vampire."

"Do tell me more."

Matthias recalled the meeting and smiled faintly, "I do remember. I liked you better then, you weren't hurting my best friend by trying to go for her man."

Hayley felt her face heat up in shame, she cleared her throat and walked out of the room in hopes of not continuing the conversation. Hayley wanted nothing more than to tell Katherine that she no longer held feelings for the vampire, that what she felt for Elijah was simple gratitude and appreciation, but Katherine's disinterest to hear her our was warranted and Hayley understood that.