xxxiv.

chapter thirty-four.

"Have you lost your mind?" Elijah snapped at Matthias.

"No." Matthias told him plainly. "I literally know what spell she was going to do so I can easily do it myself."

"If you think that I'm letting you near me, your bloody mad." Rebekah told him while backing away. "You would never have done this."

Matthias scoffed. "Right because the old Matthias let you and Elijah walk all over him. The old Matthias would bend over backwards to make you happy but I'm not doing that this time." Matthias told her lowly. "I am not that Matthias anymore, you don't like it, there's the door."

Matthias then approached Freya and hovered his hands over her head before he began chanting. Everyone watched in confusion before suddenly Matthias was standing to his feet, the spell was over as quickly as it began.

"She's telling the truth sadly." Matthias told Klaus. "But now I know everything."

With that Matthias left the room, leaving his siblings to wonder what he had just learned.

Every witch has a weakness, Dahlia's was a bit more dramatic than Matthias would have liked but then he remembered that Freya had sent Mikael on a trip for those items. Matthias didn't trust Freya, so he went to the one witch that he didn't trust either but at least she wouldn't lie to him.

Matthias entered the tomb in which in his mother resided, he tossed in a blood bag and waited for only a moment before a hand shot out and grasped the bag. He could hear her gulp down the blood with need, a feeling he was sure that she never wanted to experience.

"Why have you come here?" Esther asked, her voice hoarse from the lack of liquids. "Have you come to see me rot away?"

Matthias shook his head, "Sadly no, I've come to ask you a question." He told her and Esther looked interested. "Dahlia has come for my child and Klaus'." He told her and Esther's eyes widened. "Shocking, I know but Freya has found a way to kill her, but I think there's something we're missing."

"And you think that I know what it is?" Esther asked him.

"You betrayed Dahlia first, from what I recall, you spoke of your sister once." Matthias told her. "About the woman you adored but chose love over family, a betrayal that you vowed to never commit again."

"I broke her heart." Esther sighed. "I chose Mikael, I chose to have a family of my own and leave her behind."

Matthias hummed and nodded his head, "I thought so. I remember you telling me this once, on a night of bliss when Mikael was away, and you were lonely."

"It was her birthday." Esther remembered. "Everyone was asleep expect for you."

"I have a tendency to not sleep at night." Matthias shrugged. "Thank you." Matthias' words shocked her as she watched him leave her alone once more.sHi

It was not Freya's blood that they needed, but Esther's, and Matthias was so glad that he had a vial or two stashed away. They were old, back to their human days when Esther would make Matthias practice his magic and often had him practice spells involving links, but Matthias wouldn't dare admit to having kept them if found out.

Matthias was about to head home when he decides to check on Klaus due to the feeling in his chest. He walked into the compound and instantly spotted Klaus, he was pouring himself a drink.

"I'll have one." Matthias spoke up and Klaus glanced at his brother before grabbing another glass. "Penny for your thoughts?"

Klaus sighed as he handed Matthias a drink. "Freya said that she lost a child, that she lost it when she tried to kill herself and it was then that she decided to kill Dahlia one day."