xxxix.

chapter thirty-nine.

While Matthias and Klaus were dealing with Dahlia and their siblings, Rhea had stopped Davina from becoming Regent with the help of Kai. Davina was almost tricked into being Regent, but Rhea reminded her that being regent wouldn't help her, she wouldn't be a free witch, and she would never be able to love Kol openly.

Rhea then told Vincent to not be a coward, that he couldn't throw his problems on a little girl because he wants to run. If Vincent wanted an easy route then he had to find someone else to use for his selfish gains, Rhea wouldn't allow him to use Davina.

Matthias and Klaus are currently sitting in the courtyard with Katherine, the trio were waiting for Elijah to awaken once more since they did pull out Tunde's blade, but Elijah was till peeved, so Katherine snapped his neck.

Klaus had long turned on his humanity, but Katherine and Matthias were adamant on keeping it off for a while longer. Nadia and Kol rushed into the compound and sighed at the sight of the trio sitting together while idling talking.

"Matthias." Kol breathed and Matthias looked up at the sound of his baby brother. "You've turned off your emotions."

Matthias stood and walked over to Kol before giving him a hug. "Yes, I learned that it's easier to deal with things this way." He told him while pulling back. "Worry not, I will turn them back on soon." He promised and Kol nodded his head.

Nadia walked up to her mother and while Katherine wanted to keep her emotions off longer, she couldn't help the flicker of feelings that surfaced from seeing her daughter again. Nadia knew that Katherine had turned it back on and didn't hesitate to pull her mother in for a hug, Katherine bit her lip to keep from breaking down, she would do that later.

"You bloody bastards!" Rebekah shouted as she ran into the room, now in her original body.

Matthias waved his hand and tossed her into the wall before she could even reach them. "I would think twice before approaching me right now Rebekah."

"How could you!?" She shouted at him as Marcel rushed into her aid. "We had a plan."

"A plan that required you to dagger me!" Klaus shouted at Rebekah. "I may have deserved it, but to allow Hayley to take Hope from me... to try and kidnap Rhea from Matthias, now that is something I will never forgive you for."

"Oh, I plan on kicking Hayley's ass on the next full moon." Rhea's voice chimed in as she and Kai entered the room. "She had no right to touch me."

"What did you do to Hayley?" Elijah's raspy voice questioned as he awoke from his snapped neck.

Matthias looked at him and smirked. "I cursed her." He told him simply and Elijah wanted to lung for him but then he noticed the odds against him. "She'll be free of the curse eventually, this is her punishment for touching what is mine." Rhea felt her cheeks heat up at this and Kai nudged her with his own little smirk.

Elijah scoffed and shook his head, his eyes landed on Gia's dead body and felt his heart clench in his chest. Gia and he had an understanding that she was nothing more than a distraction, that his heart belonged to Katherine despite her hating him, but she didn't deserve to die.

"Why?" Elijah whispered heartbrokenly as he picked up Gia's body. "Why did you do this?"

Matthias shot a glance and Katherine and noticed her barely keeping herself together as she glared at Elijah. He nodded at her and Katherine sighed as she stepped forward, her hand was still holding Nadia's as she did so to keep herself grounded.

"Because you deserved it." Katherine told him plainly, keeping her tone void of emotion. "You hurt me, hurt Klaus and Matthias and think that you would only get a slap on the wrist?" Katherine shook her head as she glared at him. "No, you deserve so much more but had I known killing her would hurt you this much, I would've done it months ago."

In a fit of rage, Elijah lunged for Katherine, his hand wrapped around her throat, and he slammed her into the nearest wall. Katherine gasped as he tightened his hold on her, his love for her was outweighed by the anger in his heart about her siding against him and killing Gia, Gia who was innocent in all of this.

Matthias was about to step in but was surprised when Kai actually was the one to appear beside Katherine. He painfully syphoned from Elijah, causing the original to cry out in pain before Kai used his magic to send him flying across the room.

"Honestly you guys have manners." He said while glaring at Elijah. "Touch her again, I dare you."

Now, Kai didn't care about Katherine, but Rhea did and if Rhea did then he would try to as well. He did get on her nerves though, since meeting the vampire he found that it was easy to annoy her and since Rhea wasn't easily annoyed with him anymore, Katherine was his source of entertainment.

He certainly didn't like how Elijah put his hands on her from Rhea filling him in on everything as much as she could. He didn't understand why murder wasn't an option but then he remembered that they were originals and couldn't be killed.

"So, you would alienate yourself from us for revenge?" Elijah asked him with narrowed us. "You would forsake us because of something you have done to us many times!? He shouted.

"You let her take my daughter!" Klaus shouted at him. "I have had nothing but trust for you, you promised me that you would protect my child and that no one would take her from me, but you let Hayley do just that!" Klaus shook his head at Elijah as his eyes watered. "You broke whatever remnants of our vow when you daggered me and then let Hayley take Hope." He then looked to Rebekah. "And you, well I never truly forgave you for calling Mikael but now you'll never have my forgiveness." He told her and Rebekah gulped. "You both are nothing to me, you could rot for all I care."

Suddenly, there was a gasp, and everyone looked over to where Freya's body was lying in the other room. Katherine acted before anyone else, she grabbed the witch by the throat before throwing her into the courtyard. Freya let out a cry of pain as her body rolled against the floor before coming to a stop.

She looked around before her eyes landed on Matthias and Klaus. "Brothers."

"Brother?" Matthias laughed and shook his head. "You are not my sister, we may share the same mother, but you are not family."

Klaus nodded his head in agreement, "Matthias and I have disowned you all."

"Except for you." Matthias spoke as he looked at Marcel and his eyes widened. "Don't look so surprised, you're my son and I know that you'd never intentionally hurt me."

Marcel forced himself to look away as he knew that Matthias was right, now he may have his quarrels with Klaus, but Matthias was always going to be his dad in his eyes. Marcel knew that it would take time for Matthias to trust him again, but he was willing to work on it.

"Klaus and I did what we had to do." Matthias told them, "If you don't like it, there's the door because we don't care."

Matthias then wrapped an arm around Rhea and led her upstairs to his room. Klaus gave his family one last look before disappearing to the nursery where Hope was currently having a nap.

The Mikaelson's had defeated Dahlia but at what cost? Elijah and Rebekah chose Freya over Niklaus and Matthias, they had decided to work against their siblings rather than with them and in turn they lost them. How long would it be before the twins ever looked their way again? Days? Months? Weeks? Years?

Elijah, Freya, and Rebekah all shared a look and didn't know what was going to happen from here on out because after all, forever was a long time for vampires and the twin's anger was never ending.

end of act one.

and that's a wrap.

Davina isn't Regent since she has no reason to become Regent. her only reason for becoming Regent was for Kol, so I've made Vincent Regent since he becomes Regent further in anyways.

I didn't know how I wanted to end this act but I kind of like this one. also, we're going to know the gender of Matthias' child!

I am ready for this next part, are you?

- m a r i e