xiv.

chapter fourteen.

Matthias and Klaus let Ansel prepare the orchid since they didn't know how. Matthias was lost in thought as Ansel and Klaus spoke with one another.

Matthias was in a memory, a memory that Esther managed to taint.

"Rhea, come on." Matthias laughed as the two walked down the streets of Portland.

Rhea let out a laugh and shook her head, dragging Matthias down the street towards their destination. "No, you wanted me to show you the best spots and I am going to do just that."

Matthias was about to speak when suddenly everything around them turned different. Instead of Rhea dragging them into the club that she frequented often, they were in his apartment and Rhea had his against the wall with a white oak stake in her hands.

"Rhea, what are you doing?" He asked her with wide eyes.

"You really think that I would want to be with you?" She asked him in disbelief. "No, you're a monster, just like your father was, just like your brother is." She snarled at him and pushed the white oak into his chest. "You thought that I could love you?" She let out a bitter laugh and Matthias cried out in pain as the stake went in further. "No, no one could ever love a monster."

Matthias was pulled from the illusion at the sound of Klaus' voice. "Ansel." Ansel turned to face him, "I'd be lying if I said your offer wasn't appealing. I've never known a parent to be a benevolent force. I think I would have liked to have been your son. But, a different path was chosen for me, and we have, for the past one thousand years, been son of Mikael. Paranoid. Vengeful... and, powerful enough to protect my daughter."

Matthias was still trying to come back to reality as Ansel clasped the back of Klaus' head affectionately. "I want to help you defend her."

Klaus' eyes welled up as he looked at him. "I believe you." Klaus placed a hand on Ansel's arm. "But love is what Esther twists. She will take the best of your intentions, and she will use them to get to my little girl." Klaus choked up before taking Ansel's hand and holding it within his own. "You waited too long before you came to rescue me." Klaus let him get and walked past him. "I won't make the same mistake with Hope."

Klaus looked at Matthias and Matthias only nodded at Klaus as he picked up Ansel's blade. Ansel was shocked by this, he thought that he had gotten his son even if it was just one.

"No." Ansel stated firmly. "No, Klaus." He shook his head with teary eyes. "I know you. You are not capable of this."

"That's the first lie you've told me." Klaus told him sadly.

Klaus faltered for a moment, for Hope he knew that he had to do this, but it twisted him in the inside. Matthias noticed this conflict and before either of them could do anything, Matthias stood behind Ansel and stabbed a makeshift stake into his chest. A gasp left both Ansel and Klaus' lips and Klaus caught Ansel's body before it could hit the floor. Matthias knew he had hit Ansel where he had wanted when the wound was bleeding profusely.

Ansel, despite the shock, he caressed Klaus' cheek before finally the life left his eyes and he was gone. Matthias placed a hand on Klaus' shoulder as he started to cry but the hybrid quickly stopped himself.

He could cry later, Elijah needed him now.

⨳ ⨳ ⨳

The twins returned to the compound and Matthias left to his room.

He locked himself in his room and sat at the edge of his bed, he pulled out his phone and dialed the only number that was on his speed dial. The line rang three times before it was answered, there was panting as a breathless hello came from the other end.