xviii.

chapter eighteen.

Matthias led Rhea into his old bedroom and closed the door behind him, Rhea felt him release a wave of magical energy and knew that it was a silencing spell.

"Why are you here?" Matthias asked her while sitting at the edge of his bed. "I told you that it wasn't safe."

"I have to tell you something." She told him nervously while tightly clasping her hands together.

"And you couldn't have just texted me?" He asked her confused. "You had to follow me when even you have to know is a dumb thing to do with my mother around."

"Did I follow you? Yes. Did I say that is was smart? No, but here we are." Rhea told him.

"What could possibly be so important that you would risk your life for it?" He asked her incredulously.

Rhea closed her eyes and Matthias then noticed how she was shaking, he scolded himself and quickly stood to his feet. He pulled her into his arms and Rhea felt her body tense before relaxing into him and wrapping her arounds his middle.

"Is it about Kai?" He asked her softly. "Did you find a way to get him out?"

Rhea shook her head, "No but it's okay, I know that I'll see him again." She told him softly. "I just couldn't tell you this over the phone."

Matthias wanted to jump to the worse possible conclusion but stopped himself. "Is everything alright?"

"Matthias..." Rhea's body shook harder as she tried to calm down. "I'm pregnant."

Matthias felt his whole world stop, for a moment he forgot to breathe as he pulled away from Rhea so that he could look at her. Rhea could see the swirling emotions in his eyes, and she knew that she had to continue explaining before he jumped to assumptions.

"After you left, I started noticing the signs more." She told him. "I noticed before, but I thought nothing of it because we were looking for ways to help Kai." She further explained. "I took a test when I nearly fainted one day and turns out I'm three months pregnant and you're the only one that I've been with."

Rhea and Matthias hadn't talked about what they were, what they could be to one another, but they knew that they held feelings towards each other. Matthias and she agreed to talk about it after he had dealt with Esther's annoying presence here but now he's realizing that it isn't possible.

There was something about Rhea that had Matthias wrapped around her finger and he was okay with it. Rhea had helped him heal and move on from Elena, something he will forever be thankful for.

"I'm going to be a dad?" He asked her softly and Rhea nodded her head. "Holy shit."

A tearful laugh left Rhea's lips as Matthias cupped her cheeks and pulled her close for a kiss. Their lips met and Rhea felt as if she was on cloud nine, she knew that what she felt for Matthias was real and she knew that there would be no one else but him.

"We have to go tell the others." Matthias spoke once he pulled away from her.

Rhea hummed and sighed. "Before that, you should know that my friend, Nadia, she's Katherine's daughter."

Matthias' eyes widened, "She's alive?"

Rhea nodded her head, "Apparently. She's been looking for Katherine for over 500 years."

"We should definitely go see if she's okay." Matthias told her and Rhea nodded.

With hands clasped together, they walked into the living room and Rhea gasped at the sight of Nadia. Nadia's body had been moved onto the couch and her jacket removed for comfort when she woke up, but you could still see the blood on her shirt from where she was stabbed.