ix.

chapter nine.

"Alright, the kids are being held in the City of the Dead until we bring them through the Quarter to St. Anne's Church. Now, meanwhile, Vincent is holding a meeting with a few humans in the know. The ones who have been...reluctant to fall in line with his new leadership." Aiden explained to them.

"He's going to use the children to kill any opposition." Elijah stated as he connected the dots.

Aiden nodded his head, "Activate their curse, send a message to anyone who's thinking about going against him. It's two birds, one... bloodbath."

Marcel nodded, "Okay, so, we'll hit them while the kids are on the move."

"Aiden, make certain you and Oliver escort the children." Elijah commanded. "We'll handle the rest."

"Wait, wait, wait, wait - Esther and her psycho son are already giving me the stink eye. If these kids go missing on my watch, I'm as good as dead." Oliver said with a shake of his head.

There was a lot that he was willing to do, a lot that he's already tried to do, but he didn't want to die.

"You wanted to help your people and make amends for the past." Elijah reminded him. "This is your chance."

"Enough of that." Matthias told him with a shake of his head. "I can protect you Oliver."

Oliver looked confused but Matthias motioned him over, Oliver walked over to him, and Matthias placed his hands on either side of his head. Matthias took a breath before chanting in an unfamiliar language and everyone watched intrigued. Oliver let out a small grunt before finally the spell was over and Matthias was giving him a small smile.

"It's the same spell that Katherine and Hayley have on, you'll be fine." Matthias promised.

"Wait, what!?" Katherine questioned while Hayley looked just as shocked.

"We can't dilly dally, we got kids to save." Matthias told them before walking out of the room.

Katherine went to follow but Elijah caught her arm, she looked at him and noticed the pleading look in his eyes, but she only shook her head at him and pulled away. Elijah watched defeatedly as she ran after Matthias, Hayley shot him a look before the others left as well, leaving him to ponder what the fuck he was going to do now.

⨳ ⨳ ⨳

The All Hallows Eve party was still raging on in the streets of the Quarter. Everyone was in costumes as Aiden, Oliver, and the other werewolves walk the werewolf children toward St. Anne's Church. Gia held a drink in her hand and pretends to drunkenly run into one of the werewolves.

"Watch it." He yelled at her over the music.

Gia shoved him backwards as hard as she could without using her vampire strength and before he could retaliate, Marcel appeared behind him and snapped his neck. Marcel met Aiden's gaze before he and Gia ran off, allowing Aiden to enact his plan.

"You, take the kids." He shouted at Oliver, "Split up and find them!" Aiden ordered the other wolves.

Oliver took a moment to make sure they were all gone before looking at the kids. "Listen up, listen up. We gotta go, don't ask questions. Just move! Come on!" He told them before leading them to the rendezvous point.

After getting the kids to where they needed to be, Oliver went to his next location. He walked into the parking garage and found Matthias, Katherine, and Elijah all waiting.

"Where are they?" Elijah asked him.

"They should be right behind me." He said as he stopped in place. "Any minute now."