xv.

chapter fifteen.

Matthias looked at Kol incredulously, to say that he was angry was an understatement. Matthias had never heard a more bullshit, pulled out of ones ass story as he was hearing right now from his baby brother.

"Kol, I love you, but you're an idiot." Matthias told him once Kol was done.

"I want to believe that there's a way to save you." Kol told him.

"I don't need saving!" Matthias snapped and Kol's eyes widened. "Why can't everyone understand that this was my choice!? It was my decision and I do not regret it!"

Kol had never been yelled at by Matthias, Matthias was never one to snap at him like he had just done. Finn who was hung up across from Kol was also shocked, but he noticed that it was the effects of Esther's spell.

"A life bound to your twin brother, now that doesn't sound like a life at all." Finn commented from his spot.

"You don't get to talk!" Matthias snapped at Finn next. "Letting mother control you and not knowing how to undo it even in the body of the witch? Yeah, that's not a life either."

Something was definitely wrong with Matthias, and they knew it, just his tone was obvious enough. Matthias always dotted on his two brothers before him but the Matthias they were seeing now was an angry one, one that had always controlled his anger around them was now openly expressing it.

Before either of them could say anything, Klaus and Elijah were now entering the room. Klaus nodded at Matthias and Matthias helped with bringing his two brothers down from their hanging positions. Klaus let them over to the dining room, with him sitting at the head, Kol and Finn to his right while Elijah and Matthias sat to his left.

"We arrive into this world as innocents. Wide-eyed. Vulnerable. It is the job of our parents to nurture and protect us. Unfortunately, our own parents failed miserably at even the most basic of parental tasks. But we are not beholden to the past they created for us." Klaus speaks once everyone was seated and servants were bringing in food. "Today, a new future awaits. Forget your animosity toward Elijah and myself because you both love Matthias too much to be angry with him really."

"Can't blame them." Matthias chuckled while sipping his orange juice.

Klaus rolled his eyes and continued. "Instead, join us against she who truly deserves your ire: our mother." Kol and Finn both looked to be done with Klaus' speech. "Do this, and we will welcome you with open arms."

"Well..." Kol trailed off while reaching for a pastry.

Only for Klaus to pull the plate away from him, "But, if you continue to oppose us, a denial of pastries will be the least of your concerns."

"If all you wanted was my allegiance against Mother Dearest, you should have said so. Save me a night shackled to the wall." Kol told Klaus with an annoyed tone.

"Yes, this was Niklaus." Elijah told him. "My recommendation was to remove your limbs, one by one, until you comply."

"But then I threatened to torture them both if they dared to touch you in such a manner." Matthias added as he glared at Elijah.

Klaus laughed and stood from his seat. "We've... we've no desire to torture you. Provided you vow to stand beside us." He told them while placing a hand on each of their shoulders.

Finn moved forward, prompting Klaus' hand to leave his shoulder. "Brothers." He scoffed. "Does that word even apply to us? After all these centuries of betrayal?" He glanced backwards at Klaus briefly. "And, has loyalty to you ever rewarded?" Klaus moved away back to his seat, but he stayed standing with his back towards them. "If so, tell me, Niklaus, where is our sister, Rebekah? She was blindly loyal to you for a thousand years, and now nowhere to be found. Where did our sister go? And how did she escape your vile machinations?"