xxviii.

chapter twenty-eight.

Katherine, Nadia, and Rhea have been kept in the dark.

After Kol and Matthias found out that Finn knew where they were, Matthias called Rhea to warn her, and she took off with the girls and child. Elijah remained behind and blew up the house much to Matthias' amusement and now they were back in New Orleans.

For the couple days leading up to Hayley's wedding, Klaus didn't even tell them about Matthias leaving the compound. Now, they were learning that the two twins were on the outs, and they were upset.

"What do you mean, Matthias isn't here?" Rhea asked Klaus with narrowed eyes.

"Well, my brother has made it obvious that he no longer wishes to be a Mikaelson, thus making him an enemy at the moment." Klaus told her simply. "Until he apologizes, he isn't allowed back." Rhea scoffed and turned on her heel, leaving Klaus' office. "Where are you going to go Rhea?" Klaus called out to her.

"If Matthias isn't here, then I see no need to be here." Rhea told him with narrowed eyes. "If Matthias doesn't wish to help you then I will not either."

Klaus glared at her and took a step forward only to be stopped by Nadia and Katherine appearing in front of her. "How about you back up and not touch the woman carrying my best friends child." Katherine said.

"Katerina now is not the time to play favorites." Klaus sighed.

"All you've ever done is play favorites." Katherine reminded him. "But you're not touching her." She promised him. "Because Matthias would never forgive you and you would lose him forever if you did."

Klaus thought about what she said before he walked off to go and talk to Elijah about the wedding. Katherine sighed and turned to look at Rhea, she could see the concern written on her face and she understood it. She related to that concern and wanted nothing more than to go and find Matthias.

"Matthias will be fine." Katherine told her. "I don't know what's gotten into Elijah and Klaus lately but if Matthias has turned his shoulder to them then it's serious."

They were about to speak when Jackson approached them. "Hi, sorry to interrupt, can I talk to Katherine for a moment?"

Katherine gave him a small smile and nodded before taking his outstretched hand. Rhea and Nadia watched with knowing eyes as he pulled her into the room he was using to get ready for the night.

"What's up handsome?" Katherine jokingly flirted with him as she sat down. "Need help tying your tie?"

"Hayley talked to me about her and Klaus the other day." Jackson told her and Katherine's eyes widened. "I know that she loves him, that he loves her, and that this marriage isn't entirely based on love for each other but for our people and Hope." He continued. "She also knows that I have found myself enamored with you."

"Jack-" Katherine started but he cut her off.

"I need to say this." He told her. "I can't get married without knowing that I said it."

Katherine gave him a soft smile and stood up, she walked towards him and took his hands into her own and squeezed them. "I know."

"I love you Katherine and I know that you love Elijah, but I had to say it." He told her and lifted his hand to wipe the tear that fell from her eye. "Why are you crying?"

Katherine sniffled and let out a chuckle. "Because I know that unrequited love can be a bitch."

Jackson chuckled and lifted her hand to his lips, placing a kiss on her knuckles. "It's okay, I don't mind."