xl.

chapter forty.

"Rhea, babe, breathe please."

Rhea released a breath that she didn't know she was holding and looked at Katherine nervously. "Sorry, I'm just really nervous for this appointment."

Katherine laughed and nodded her head. "Yeah, I thought that might be the case since your leg hasn't stopped bouncing since we got her."

It's been a month since Matthias turned Hayley and her pack into wolves, a month since Elijah and Rebekah left the Compound with Freya, a month since Klaus has been taking care of Hope with the help of Matthias, Nadia, Katherine, Kai, and Kol, all being such a big help.

Katherine had been taking Hope down to the bayou with Nadia on full moons to allow Hayley to see her daughter. Katherine knew all too well how it felt to have your child taken from you, it was why she empathized with how Klaus felt but she also knew how Hayley must be feeling. That didn't mean that she was upset with the hybrid, but she wasn't cruel either.

Marcel and his vampires returned to the Quarter and Klaus handed him back his reign as king but with Vincent as Regent, things were going to be different. A lot more different. Marcel had cut off both Elijah and Rebekah, he wanted to stand by his father figure and when he finally opened his eyes, he saw that Matthias was right about somethings.

Davina and Kol had an apartment of their own across the street from the Compound, Kol still resided in the body of Kaleb but that was what he wanted. Though should anything happen to his body, Matthias made sure that Kol's soul would return back to his original body which was tucked away in a coffin.

Matthias was working on a way to get Finn his body back whenever he wasn't spending his time with Rhea or Klaus. Finn was okay with not having his body back, but he did want to come back in hopes of being there when his nephew or niece was born.

In much more surprising news, Matthias, Rhea, Katherine, Nadia, and Kai all moved into the Compound with Klaus. They occupied rooms of their choosing and it was like they were one big family, having breakfast together, sometimes lunch, and also dinner. The twins loved the company, the feeling of not being judged and being able to be themselves.

Kai has also been picking on Katherine every chance he got, he like how easily she was annoyed with him and how even though she threatened him, she never acted out on it. Katherine wouldn't dare admit it, but she found Kai's company and constant annoyance to be a bit comforting in a weird way.

"I just worry that maybe something's wrong, you know?" Rhea told her while rubbing her hand over the small baby bump that she had.

"I'm sure your baby is fine." Katherine reassured her. "Just because the heartbeat sounded off doesn't automatically assume that something was wrong."

Rhea sighed and knew that she was right. "Just to be sure."

Katherine nodded her head, "I know."

"Rhea Carlisle." The sound of Rhea's name being called had the two perking up instantly. When the nurse spotted Rhea and Katherine stand, she gave them a warm smile. "Right this way."

Katherine took hold of Rhea's hand and Rhea smiled at her appreciatively. It was clear as day to Katherine that Rhea was freaking out over the heartbeat, it was why she lied to Matthias about what they were doing in hopes to not worry him. They walked into the room and Rhea got on the examination seat while Katherine sat beside her.

"Ms. Hanson will be with you shortly." The nurse told her before leaving them to themselves.

Katherine looked at Rhea and the girl was now picking at her nails and her leg was bouncing. She was genuinely nervous and hated that she didn't know how to help, she was only there for moral support.