SIXTEEN

"Welcome to Puerto Rico Mr. and Mrs. Landon." The hotel clerk greeted us while handing us our keys.

Athena sighed before grabbing it and walking towards the elevator. I know she didn't want to come, I couldn't blame her. Usually, when they mistook her last name, she would awkwardly laugh before explaining that it wasn't her last name.

We headed towards the elevator and hopped in. I pressed the button.

"I was thinking that tonight we could walk along the streets. It'll be fun, they play music and sell street food. Would you like that?" I asked.

"That would be nice." She nodded.

It was awkward. I missed out usually banter. She would lead the conversation and I'd pretend how annoyed I was even though I enjoyed every second of it.

But she had pure discomfort on her face. She was sad.

"You don't have to if you don't want to."

"No. I want to."

Athena and I settled into the suite. I made sure that it was a two-bedroom. An hour had passed, I found myself dressed and waiting on Athena to come out.

My phone buzzed and I picked it up. It was Lauren.

"Hey baby, are you settled in?" She questioned.

"I'm ready," Athena said while walking out.

She looked like her old self, although I knew she wasn't. Her face still held the same, bored expression. She wore a red summer dress with her hair in its natural state. I loved her curls. Her soft curls that fra-

"Tobias! Who is that in the background? Did you bring her!" Lauren exclaimed. "I told you not to."

"Lauren, I'll talk to you later." I hung up the phone.

"Ready?"

She nodded.

"You didn't have to stop your conversation," Athena muttered while grabbing her purse.

The sun was going down which made her skin illuminate. She looked like an angel.

"It's whatever." I shrugged. "Shall we?"

Athena and I roamed the streets. Often I would see her do a small smile at the colorful buildings. It still wasn't the same.

"Tomorrow, I have to attend a meeting and that night, Mr. Sanchez invited us to dinner. Does that sound okay?"

"Sounds fine."

"Bacalaitos?"

"No thank you, I'm full." I smiled.

The street vendor gave an awkward smile.

"Muy lleno no gracias," Athena said.

We slowly walked away hearing faint music in the background. It was a band playing the drums and trumpet.

"You know Spanish as well?"

"It's similar to French. I just know the basics."

We walked along the streets, soon stopping at the mini-concert. People were playing the drums as two salsa dancers danced along.

He picked the girl up in the air and twirled her, allowing her dress to twirl. Athena cracked a small smile. They stopped dancing and the male dancer walked up towards Athena and held his hand out.

"Oh no! I'm okay!" Athena shook her head.

"Ah! Come one señorita. Follow my lead."

She nodded. He grabbed her hand and slowly, began dancing along to the music. I smiled as she awkwardly tried to get her steps together.

He picked her up and twirled her around causing her to laugh. There it was. The smile that I missed. He placed her down and twirled her around a couple of times before they returned to the original steps.

Athena looked at me and smiled. They finished the dance and she excitedly ran over towards me.

"Did you see that! I'm a pro." She giggled.

"You were amazing."

"I'm glad I came. Sometimes I forget the beauties outside of New York." She smiled. "Oh! Please tell me we'll be able to go to the beach. It's warm in winter."

"We can go now if you would like?"

"Luckily, I wore my swimsuit."

~

Athena happily played in the water. Just like her old self. I smiled while slowly walking in.

"Let's play a game." She said.

"Okay, what game?"

"Whoever splashes each other the most, wins. Like this." She said before splashing.

"Oh, you are so on!" I smiled while pushing the water towards her.

"Ah no!" Athena yelled while quickly pushing water towards me. "Aha! I'm winning."

"Are you?" I questioned.

I wrapped my arms around her waist before tossing her underneath the water. She quickly popped back up, laughing in the process.

"You're an ass!" She said. "Come here!"

"Have to catch me first!"

I tried my best to move quickly, but the water was slowing me down. Athena quickly jumped on my back. I twirled us around before sending us both up.

We quickly came back to the surface and she smiled.

"Who knew that you could be this fun." She smiled.

That perfect smile that I adored. Her lips looked kissable. She stared at me, almost as if she was looking in me.

And that's how we stood for a few seconds before I made the move. I grabbed her face and kissed her. I couldn't resist and she kissed back. Again.

God, what was I doing? Lauren, Tobias. Lauren! But the thought of her couldn't make me stop. Not when I was kissing Athena.

She pulled away, although her eyes begged for more. She lightly grazed my face before pushing my wet hair out of my face.

Quickly, she splashed me with water before hurrying out of the water. I smiled standing in my place.

~

Athena discovered a waterfall which we spent the rest of our day at. We took a nap and then ate sandwiches before laying back looking at the sun go down.

"What's your dream life?" Tobias asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Like, I know as a kid, you dreamt of having a simple life."

"I did." I nodded. "But not a simple life. I just wanted to travel everywhere. Like a voyager. A new country every month. What about you?"

Which suited her. Athena was a free spirit. She did what felt right to her. Not being tied to a specific place made her happy. Traveling made her happy. It was something different than the same city she experienced so much trauma in.

"I wanted to be a fireman."

"I could see it."

We remained quiet while listening to the sound of nature.

"This is what I want. Peace like this." She sighed.

She looked at me, with those beautiful brown eyes. I've started to fall for her. This wasn't good. Especially since I was still in love with Lauren, I think.