FORTY-SIX

Our trip was coming to an end. Which made me sad because I enjoyed our week away from New York. Italy felt like our bubble.

Tobias made reservations at an upscale restaurant, right in the heart of Venice. We sat sipping our wine while stealing glances at each other.

"I know we agreed not to talk about work, but how's the Pierre Fleur thing coming?" I questioned.

"He's still wanting me to sell. I don't know though." Tobias shrugged. "I've been gaining new investors ever since the old ones pulled out."

"Did you get to the root of the fire?"

"A security guard threw his cig next to a flammable object." He shook his head. "I didn't take any action, people make mistakes, but he's fired."

"Fuck. So are you rebuilding it?"

"I don't know." Tobias shrugged. "So far, the product is fine. That grape vineyard wasn't going to be used until next year. Business is fine, but do I know if I want to keep up with it?"

"You're proud of your winery, right? Don't let one setback get to you. And don't let Pierre pressure you into selling. He knows how great your company is and he wants that."

"But I don't want any bad blood with him. He's a powerful man in the wine business, I wouldn't be surprised if he set that security guard up to do it." Tobias paused.

"You don't think?" I squinted my eyes.

He shook his head. "I'm spiraling."

"Just don't give up on it, okay? This is the first company that you started, not your parents, build something positive."

He nodded.

"I know those curls from anywhere." I heard the familiar Italian accent.

I turned around.

"Donatella!" I quickly stood up before giving her two air kisses. She pulled me in a hug.

"Athena, my love! I'm so proud of you! Your show was amazing, I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it." She pouted.

"It's okay! And thank you. Donatella, this is my fiancé, Tobias Landon." I pointed toward him.

Tobias stood up and shook her hand.

"Ah, lover boy." She nodded. "You treat my baby right, okay?"

We both chuckled at the name.

"Yes ma'am, I will." He nodded.

"I'm serious. I won't be afraid to kick ass. Trust me, I won't." She winked. "I'll let you two lovebirds get back to your date. I was just leaving."

"Nice seeing you again."

"Call me sometime, yeah? Maybe we can collaborate. Bye my love, bye lover boy." She blew us a kiss before walking away.

We sat back down.

"So does everyone in Italy call me lover boy?" He smiled.

"It's something about those eyes." I chuckled.

"What's that song by that girl? The one who performed at your show?" He thought to himself.

"Sky eyes?"

He nodded.

"Corny." I shook my head.

He smiled. His phone buzzed and he glanced at it.

"I'm sorry, I wouldn't take this call but it's my lawyers and-"

"It's okay, I promise." I smiled.

He gave me an apologetic look before standing up and walking off. I sighed before taking a sip of my wine. My phone pinged.