THIRTY-FIVE

15 years ago

Feeling the cold water on my face woke me up instantly. I screamed before quickly shooting up. My father stood over me, his cold gaze terrified me.

"Father." I rubbed my eyes.

"Five in the morning. Get up." He said before walking out.

I sighed.

"If you aren't pushing yourself, you're weak." My father said as he ran on the treadmill. "Push yourself, Tobias."

I nodded while turning up the speed. I began running, trying to pace myself but ended up collapsing.

"My arm! Father my arm!" I yelled.

"Get up!" He yelled.

"What's going on in here?" My mother walked in. "Tobi! Are you okay baby?"

"Stop babying him. He's fine. We're done. Same time tomorrow." My dad said while wiping his face with a towel.

"It's broken, sweetie." My mom examined it.

But that didn't stop anything. The next day my dad made me run on the treadmill, cast and all.

Present Day

"No. I don't have the time." I paced back and forth before stopping in front of the window.

"Make time. You're a Landon. Be a Landon." My father said before hanging up.

I huffed while tossing my phone on the hotel bed. He was infuriating. 'Do this for the family, Tobias'. 'Don't be a coward, Tobias'. He was the biggest coward I knew.

I shook my head while sitting down at the desk. I stared at my computer before shaking my head.

Even if I wanted to work, I couldn't. My head was consumed with thoughts of what Athena could possibly be doing.

Was she asleep? Or painting a picture? Or sitting on the island, drinking her daily glass of wine while having her life-changing talks with Kaleb.

I was distracted, twenty-four-seven about Athena.

Athena Love Solana.

What was she doing to me? I wanted to check up on her. I wanted to call her and talk to her for forever. I missed her voice, her laugh, her jokes.

I stood up and grabbed my phone. I clicked her contact, staring intently. To my surprise, she had already texted me. I smiled softly.

Athena Solana
Look! I made a cake!
[Attachment: 1 image]

Looks wonderful

[Incoming call: Athena Solana]

"Hey, sorry if this isn't a good time." She said.

"No, it's perfect timing. Just writing some statements." I slowly paced the room. "Kaleb helped with the cake?"

"He gave me instructions, made it on my own. I'll try and save a piece for you." She chuckled.

"Please do."

"How's Chicago? Work beating your ass?"

"It is never easy. I have meetings for the marketing company and record label." I shook my head. "You? S&W wearing you out?"

"You've been gone for two days, nothing much has changed."

"True."