Chapter 24: Internship Start!

A/N: Time for the kids to pick out their internships! Let's just say some unexpected stuff happens.

3rd person POV:

Izuku and Shouta are woken up from their spot on the couch by Hizashi. He demanded that the two let him join the cuddles. After that they did their usual routine. Izuku goes on a run, Hizashi makes breakfast, and Aizawa drinks four cups of coffee. The three dive to UA full of excitement. Today is the day the first years do internship! They pick out what agency they'll work with for a week in order to get some experience under their belt. What agency requests the kids is up to their score in the sports festival. Izuku did really well so he should have plenty of requests.

Izuku helps Shouta set up ground beta for some stealth training later. He also helps All Might pre for his class. All Might isn't the most experienced teacher but he knows how to rally people up. After that Izuku walks to class. He bumps into Hatsume and they talk about his gauntlets for a while. They both wave goodbye and promise to see each other at Nezu's office for lunch.

Izuku doesn't think anything could ruin this day. He couldn't be more wrong.

Izuku walks into class and waves to Katsuki who's yelling at Eijiro about how he's stronger than the rest of the class. The two argue about how cocky he is but give Izuku small waves before reentering their fight.

"Take your seats, you have internship requests." Shouta says in a monotone voice, entering the class.

"Here's how many everyone got." He draws a list and graph on the chalkboard.

KATSUKI BAKUGOU: 4,567 REQUESTS

SHOTO TODOROKI: 2,123 REQUESTS

EIJIRO KIRISHIMA: 314 REQUESTS

FUMIKAGE TOKOYAMI: 112 REQUESTS

TENYA IIDA: 93 REQUESTS

MASHIRAO OJIRO: 73 REQUESTS

IZUKU YAMADA: 23 REQUESTS

HANTA SERO: 21 REQUESTS

OTHERS: LESS THAN 20

The class looks at the board with wide eyes. However when they see that second place got less requests than Todoroki, who was out in the first round, people get confused.

"How come Izuku has fewer requests than Iida and Todoroki? He was second!" Ochaco says.

"Yeah, I don't think I should have more than him. He's a better fighter." Mashirao adds.

"Ribbit, was there a mistake?" Tsu looks confused.

"There must have been. Izuku beat me. He should be getting requests left and right." Todoroki says.

The class starts to worry about their friend. Something had to be wrong. Izuku did great, he shouldn't have just 23 requests. But to Izuku, this was familiar.

"It's because I'm quirkless." Izuku stops the chaos in the classroom.

"But that shouldn't affect how many-" Momo starts.

"It does. The world views quirkless people as useless or just a liability in battle. No matter how well I did, it would always end like this." Izuku says with a cold expression.

"I-" Iida struggles to find words.

Shouta looks at Izuku with worried eyes. Just as the class settles with sadness, Midnight slams the door open.

"Hello hero course! It's time to pick out hero names. That way you can use them for your internships." Midnight looks around the solemn room.

"Uh... Let's get on with it! Everyone take one of these and write what you want your hero name to be. Afterwards you'll share it with the class to see if they like your hero name! Let's get started." Midnight passes out the boards for them to write on. Some life comes back to the room with little chats about what they want their names to be.