Chapter Twenty-Three: Ally Or Enemy?

It was hard for Charlie to have Elna in her house, but it was harder for her to think that someone could hurt Maria, so there she sat in the same premises as Elna – again. She fidgeted with her wedding band as she chewed the inner part of her lower lip. Elna sat on the couch of her living room. She was also playing with her fingers – looking everywhere but at Charlie. While Marcus was on a phone call with someone, probably the police officer. Charlie could hear him asking someone to come over.

Maybe she was being paranoid, but she didn't want to take her eyes of Elna. Charlie doesn't trust her and she has every right to feel so. Not only did she once deceive Maria, but she also was in love with Marcus. Charlotte doesn't know how Elna feels towards her husband anymore, but she is not taking any chances. The fact that she was seeing Marcus, even just for job purposes, behind her back was enough to not trust her ever. Charlie glanced at Marcus, who seemed to be in a deep conversation with someone on the phone.

"You look different. Um, nice, I mean – you look really nice." Charlie averted her eyes towards Elna, who was now looking at her. She didn't think Elna would speak to her, but after a few minutes of complete silence, she spoke.

Charlie didn't have any reason to be rude to her at the moment – especially when she came forward to help Maria. She smashed her lips together and nodded her head, "Yeah." She mumbled. Charlie doesn't know how else to react. She didn't want to talk to her more, not because she hated her, but because she doesn't trust her. Charlie doesn't want to disclose anything that Elna might use against her.

Elna tugged her lips in a soft smile before her eyes went to Charlie's hands – specifically her wedding band. Charlie witnessed the small tug on her lips fall. Elna gulped and let out a shaky breath, "Congratulations," Elna mumbled.

Charlie looked down at her finger before she looked back at Elna, "Thank you," She replied softly.

The disappointment in her eyes was vivid that Charlie left confused – if she should be sympathetic towards her, or if she should be happy. She sighed. She couldn't be happy to see someone else miserable. Elna might have betrayed Maria, but she did for the love she had for Marcus – there is no doubt in Charlie's mind that Elna must be hurting to see the man she loves marry someone else, she would have been devastated if she was in Elna's place as well.

"Mama! Ella is awake!" Charlie's train of thought was interrupted when she heard Kathie yell out for her mother from the top of the stairs. Elna and Charlie both looked up at Kathie, standing in her shorts and purple shirt. Her hair was a mess, indicating that she has just woken up. Charlie smiled at her and nodded her head, "Coming, baby." She told Kathie, who giggled and ran back to her room.

Charlie's eyes went on Elna to see her looking at Kathie with a small smile on her face. Once Kathie ran back to her room, she looked back at Charlie. "Kathyrn is growing up so fast." She chuckled inaudibly. Charlie couldn't help but smile, "She is." She replied softly.

Even though Charlie didn't want to leave Elna with Marcus alone, she had no other choice. Ella was up and so was Kathie. She excused herself and walked upstairs to check on her daughter. She glanced down at Elna, sitting silently while Marcus was still away. She paused and heaved a sigh. She trusts Marcus. He will be careful around her. With the last glance, she walked into her daughter's nursery.

In Chicago, Leo was sitting in front of his laptop – studying for yet another important patient's case, while Elizabeth was in the kitchen making coffee. She glanced down at the mug and wrinkled her nose – she was told that the last time she made him coffee – it was too bitter, but Leo being a gentleman, he drank it. She smiled to herself and tasted the coffee before she serves it to him. It tasted fine to her. It wasn't extraordinary, but it was undrinkable either.